Author Topic: ALMOST a perfect replica  (Read 1646 times)

Offline n2everythg

ALMOST a perfect replica
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:43:10 pm »
ha ha.
When I was up to james' house a couple weeks ago he pounded out a clovis then split it fluting it.
I glued the thing back together and took it home to study.

Well last night was the first chance I had to actually try to replicate it. I did..... all the way down to the crack right thru the middle. ha :)

think my base is a little narrower and the sides dont come back in the exact same profile. but I think it was close.

Just thought I would share.
First set of pics is just after second pass of pressure. and last 2 pics are after attempted flute. Oh well I guess I will go make up 2 hunting points tonight.

Dont laugh Pat B that was supposed to be your B-Day present..... guess I can use a smaller box now.

later
wade

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:46:54 pm by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Mechslasher

Re: ALMOST a perfect replica
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:26 pm »
you almost had it.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:11:25 pm »
perfect replica  ;D, that sucks you had a beauty there
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »
Ouch!. Well you were trying to replicate it  ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:40 pm »
Work on making a more convex cross section. use your ishi stick to push out the high spots.
 When your doing your percussion work be very carfull not to have any deep diving flakes. all your percussion flakes should terminate at the apex of your cross section.

Looking darn good though!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:52 pm »
Thanks jesse,
Looking really close at james point. it is more 'humped' in the back 1/2 and a bit flatter in the forward 1/2. More of a pronounced ridge down the median. not real noticable but now that you point it out I can see it.
later,
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »
Looks like sitting with an actual caveman done you some good !
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:37 am »
OUch the nipple looked right... Then again I havent seen a nipple that didnt :-X ba du dummm...a little too much pressure I do that frequently but u think i would learn after awhile.  U'll get it next time.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
That is the perfect replica as already mentioned ;D. That sucks! I've tried with a lot harder stuff than obs and broke em anyway..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.