Author Topic: making a red oak bow  (Read 5303 times)

paganwannbe

making a red oak bow
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »
I don't know where to post this please let me know if this is the wrong place. I'm making a red oak bow hoping to pull around 45 50 pounds but I don't know how to give the bow its shape.So any tips anyone could give my I would be very thankful. thank you for taking your time to answer

Offline aero86

Re: making a red oak bow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »
just draw your outline on the back and trim it out.  any power tool or hand tool will work.  bandsaw, jig saw, rasp, surform plane, draw knife, hatchet..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 05:06:07 pm »
I take it you're referring to a Red Oak Board bow, not a stave.  Go to the How-To section here and look at the top for the post that gives Jawge's website.  The other popular site is:  http://poorfolkbows.com where the author also shows you how to make several simple bows.

Essentially aero86 is right.  You use a ruler and a marker and draw the top view of the bow you want - pyramid or paddle or whatever.  Then you use a saw, rasp or other tool to rough out the shape.  Say you've chosen a 2" wide by 3/4" thick board.  After you've drawn out and cut out the shape, then you could add an extra piece for the handle using Titebond II glue.  At this point you start what is called "tillering"" - that is taking off wood from the belly side (usually) until that stiff board is able to bend and give you the draw weight you want.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

paganwannbe

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:13:25 pm »
Thank you for the website and yes sir sorry I could have been a bit more informative and 
could some one please tell me a store that sells a surform plane or a draw knife

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »
Any hardware store should carry the surform.  I got mine at Lowe's.

paganwannbe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:55 pm »
OK thank you

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »
When you buy the surform, go for the larger one. $20.00 is all it will cost. You might want to make a scraper as well, if you cant find one. A palm sander is good for fine tillering after you get your shape and draw weight that you want.
As KenH said. Jawges' web site is a wealth of knowledge. Welcome to the addiction and to PA!
Also under the archive section there is a list of terminology that may be useful.

Good luck

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

paganwannbe

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:47:08 pm »
cool I did not know a lot of the terms just about Archer's Paradox being the one I've heard but not understand that tells me how much I don't know you learn something new everyday thank you for all the help I hope when I get done I can post the pictures here

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
Keep askin questions! These folks here have taken me from nothin to a struggling amature... ;D
And trust me.....They have been patient!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

paganwannbe

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:15:18 pm »
What type of finish do I need to use if I can expect to use it in rain. It might be to much to ask but Would like to know what type of snake skin I should use with  it and if DNA will show up though it to look like the arrows eye candy cane by Tim Ott in volume 18 issue 2

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:19:04 pm »
THere's info on my site too. For 45# you can go 1.25 in wide. I recommend a bend in the handle design for your first. Jawge
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:47:02 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

paganwannbe

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:31 pm »
witch area is it under? is that form the side or what will be the bottom/top 

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:21 pm »
dont be put off if it breaks.  there have been plenty of people like me on here.  made their first board bow, turned out beautiful.  then mess up or break their next few.  i dont know how i made a good working and shooting bow with my first one, but it worked out ok.  just go slow, when removing wood, dont try to hog off too much at a time.  take it down to a little above your lines, then move to the other side and do the same. 

most of us are still learning and asking questions.  dont be afraid to ask whatevers in your head. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

paganwannbe

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:18 am »
OK thanks and I won't I will be shocked if it did not break however.