Author Topic: Following Pats lead 1st basket quiver  (Read 5758 times)

Grunt

Following Pats lead 1st basket quiver
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »
After reading Pats post on basket quivers I decided to give it a shot.The great thing about this site is the fact that we all share our skills and knowledge.
 Here is my first quiver.It is all 3/8 smoked reed and has a wood plug in the base.  I went back and rewove the rim and it looks better now. I looked in Jim Hams book for an example and I wanted it to taper smaller at the base.. It is long and skinny cause thats how I like my quivers and I will probably rig it southern plains style under my left arm. The next one will have ribbon woven into parts . It ain't easy but it ain't hard to do, because they regularly teach basket making to mental health patients.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:39:19 pm by Grunt »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Following Pats lead 1st basket quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:39:44 pm »
Nice Grunt. Now that you have broken the ice I see more in your future.  To me, the hardest part is starting a woven bottom and second is controlling an even tension as you weave. The latter helps to maintain the shape of the tube. Using different materials or sizes of materials requires different weaver tension and can be tedious to maintain the shape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »
Pat, I used a small wood disc about 2 1/2 " in diameter for the inside base. Where the ribs crossed in the center of the disc I drove a small iron tack to hold everything in place till I got a couple of rounds woven and added the odd rib. Left it in place as the bottom element. Next base will be another disc and a couple of rounds of 1/4 " flat to start.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:46:35 am »
The wood disc is a good idea. I usually place a leather disc in the bottom to protect the quiver from arrow heads(practice or hunting). 
I'll be playing with collected materials this summer like honeysuckle, willow, poplar bark, other tree inner barks, blackberry cane and hopefully river cane like the Cherokee.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:38:13 am »
That looks nice!
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:35:30 am »
I like it, real nice work :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:20 pm »
Here's some more quivers. It took a couple to start to get the hang of it. Dyeing reed is a big messy pain.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:56 am »
Now thats some fancy work..I want to try and use some rush thats growing by me but not quite sure how to start em...maybe trial and error ..maybe clear a whole swap before I get it who knows..I love your guys work on the weaving Woodland all the way!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:42:53 am »
Nice, that is a skill that I need to learn.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 09:00:35 am »
Those look good. I want to make a couple of woven poplar bark quivers this year, haven't made one in awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:02:42 am »
Very nice work,I like them a lot.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:54 pm »
Nice job Grunt. Those look great. I have been thinking of doing some small baskets to get the hang of it. Now I know what I want to end up with.

Trey

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »
real nice looking baskets Grunt!!! I Love the pinkuns!!!! where did you find the reed? gosh i got alot of things to learn!!!!!   Tomi ::)

Grunt

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »
real nice looking baskets Grunt!!! I Love the pinkuns!!!! where did you find the reed? gosh i got alot of things to learn!!!!!   Tomi ::)

Google up basket materials. There are several suppliers. I used 3/8 flat reed for some and others I used 3/8 for ribs and 1/4 for weavers. About $20 worth will give you several quivers.