Author Topic: 49" Inuit cable backed....done (added pic of a simpler type model)  (Read 21626 times)

half eye

hey fellas,
       Few days ago I posted some NA bows, and amoungst 'em was an Inuit that needed it's bridges and cables. Here it is.
49" overall, white oak (Barrel stave stock) the bow weighed 38# @ 25" w/o the cable and 48# @ 25 with 3 turns on the cable. The bow has an easy 27" draw length. The pics have the same 28" overall arrow as in the other post.
       The bow shoots very quietly, I guess thats because of the cariboo skin under the cable and the bridge block wrap under that part. This thing was a pain in the rear...it will be some time before I do another one.
        Anyway got the regular photos and a second bunch of close up shots....the cables are made, secured and all that without knots of any kind. Everything is intertwined, wrapped , half hitched or soldier hitched. This includes the binding that hold the twist in the cable (grip center) the cables are one piece and everything else is one piece. The hide is not glued down and neither are the bridge blocks.
        Feel free to let me know about any screw-up's, and enjoy the photo's.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:07:57 pm by half eye »

half eye

Re: 49" Inuit cable backed....done
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:26:55 pm »
here's the close-up's

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »
What a great bow!!  Wow!  30% increase in draw weight with just a couple turns of the windlass!  That's incredible!!

Love the lashing pattern, how did you work that out??
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »
Ken,
      I used a book that Ken75 was kind enough to give me. "North American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers" by Otis Tufton Mason who wrote it while curator of the Smithsonian in 1893. They broke the Eskimo natives into 3 groups....Arctic type, Southern type, and Western type. There are at least 22 different types of cable layouts with some overlapping in style and some showing 3 or more styles on one bow. I picked a combination of two Southern types.
     The Southern types tend to be longer bows about 38" to 50" and single bows, The Western tend to resemble the Asiatic type bows where the bows are spliced and the limb tips are similair to siahas or horn types. Anyway, my bow was a solid self bow of wood so I went with the western "bridged layout" and the cable system came from specimens collected at Bristol Bay and Nuniviak Island. The trademark of these types is "extra starnds let into the cable by means of any number of half hitches passing around the bow and into the cable".....the second trademark is that the twin cables are continuous around each knock in a contiuous strand form two cables which are woven into a single "great" cable.
      Sorry for the long winded explanation but thats where the pattern(s) came from.
Rich

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:28:22 am »
Rich
Beautiful bow!
Personally, The way you craft primitive archery,....I think you were born bout 200 years too late... :o
Now wait a minute, how old are you anyway. Naw, you couldn't be 245 Years young.LOL ;D ::) ;D

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:35:24 am »
Another very cool Native American bow Rich. I really enjoy seeing what you will make next. I believe you are breaking all the laws of archery as far an overall length vs. draw length...and using boards to make them all.  8)   Very well done!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:48:24 am »
Rich, I feel the same as Pat.  Your bow is a beauty and that is a great looking full draw pic too!

Rich

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:17:34 am »
Wow Rich very nice craftsmanship!  I have that cordage for u and will send that out along with the rest of goods!  Looks like that turned out well!  Talk to u soon my friend.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:30 am »
I certainly concur with evryone else! Inspires me to make one of thos myself...I have that same book too! ;)

What are you using for cordage? Artificial sinew?? or the real thing??

half eye

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:41 am »
Hey Eastern,
       It's artificial.....did some digging and some of these bows would take (60 yards) of braided sinew to complete an Arctic type, and maybe 45 yards for a Southern type..........That's a whole lot of sinew. Also I believe that after contact with the whalers and sealers they probably would have used some type of twine cordage either from trade or ship wrecks. I don't think a guy would be too far off to use sail mending twine or upholsters twine.
       Hey Okie......I'll have ya to know that I'm 239 and holding. There is a lot to be said for doing somethings the "old" way like smoking and greasing bow wood, and I noticed that while using rocks to sand and shape the bows you can actually "feel" whats going on with the bow wood....can't explain but ya can physically feel whats going on....it's pretty cool actually. I also do all my tillering with the "under-tension" system....just use progessively longer sticks, check the bend by eye, and every once in a while pull the bow to "feel the weight"....worked for them and it works good for me.
      Thanks again for the nice comments, but they got the designs down....not me.
Rich

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
Wow!  My year and a half on PA and that is the first example of that design and technology I've seen.  I've been looking at those for some time and wondering, and finally, here is an example.  Your the man!
1’—>1’

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 11:30:09 am »
dang nice bow rich , its all been said great work

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:14 am »
I can't help but wonder, how long the backstrap sinew from a Whale or Elephant Seal would be? Indigenous people of Alaska were know to hunt those creatures. If those animals even have the kind of sinew that Deer, Elk, Buffalo, Caribou, and such have along their backs. If so it would sure make twisting up one of those cables less labor intensive. Very wet in Alaska, so I wonder what they did to keep moisture from getting to the cables, since they used them, they must have some solution?

I really like what you did there, and the historical questions that you have got me thinking about. Now I just need to know. :D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:18 am »
I have a couple questions.  I'm wondering about the bridge purpose.  It is to raise the tension so that the outer limbs aren't bending as much.  From the full draw it seems that bow is doing more bending in the first half of the limbs.  Are the bridges responsible?

Also, that bracing piece that looks like you've put on the belly side of the handle (Book17 picture).  Is that on the back or belly?  Just to reinforce the handle as it's bending a great deal there?

Did you make the cable as an endless loop and then wrap it down with once consecutive piece of cord just hitching it in along the way and then wrapping around the cable?

Very interesting Rich...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:48:56 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
Nice bow,you come up with more cool stuff.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good