Author Topic: Maverick Arrow  (Read 3014 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Maverick Arrow
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »
Hey all,
  I just finished making a few more arrows, and I've got one maverick of the bunch.  I'm shooting at about 17yrds, and she wants to stray off to the left of where I'm aiming, by more than a foot almost every time.  What would cause that?  The arrow is straight, and I was sober when making them.  I'm trying to figure out if it's a spine issue, a fletching issue, or something that I'm not aware of just yet.  I haven't spined them yet, nor have I weighed them, so this may be the problem.  Below are my specs

1.  37# @28" w/ center-cut shelf.
2.  Wood Type: Poplar
3.  Fletch:  Trueflight Shield feathers, put on by hand and not on a fletcing jig
4.  100gr field tips

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Maverick Arrow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:50:02 pm »
It sounds like too stiff or too much spine.  Try a heavier point.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:59:17 pm »
 Try flipping it over and putting the Cock feather against the handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:05:42 am »
I was gonna say the same as Eddie.  Sounds odd but many times the arrow will fly well. ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:03:15 am »
Too late to try it out, but if flipping it around did work, should I re-fletch with the cock-feather on the other side of the shaft?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:23:50 am »
If you use an indexed nock just turn the nock 180 degrees.  It won't hurt a thing to shoot with the cock feather in. Might fray the edges of the feather a bit after lots of shots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline karrow

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
to stiff of spine i would say if all the other arrows are shooting consistant groups

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:27:07 am »
Turned it around today, and shot it 2-3 times.  2 out of 3 it went where I wanted.  Gotta do  a little more testing tomorrow to make sure.