Author Topic: Juniper Question  (Read 2005 times)

bowkee

Juniper Question
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »
While on the City Bus today I noticed a pile of juniper cuttings so I decided to end the ride and walk down the hill and fetch this 1/1/2"by 6'  branch. The thickness is 1/1/2 by 2" but the 2" is from the Back to the
belly.  Since there is deflex I was wondering if  I should try to straighten the Branch so the widest dimensions would be side to side.
One other issue is sap, how to deal with that since this wood is still green.
Seems like it's gonna be a lot of work for this one considering I had to walk it home 4 miles, Got lots of smiles though.whew! Phillip

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:19:21 pm by bowkee »

Offline Rain Man

Re: Juniper Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:32:54 pm »
You worked hard for that one!

I'm gonna get in line and ask another question  ;D  Since Eastern Red Cedar is a juniper, can I do the same as Bowkee?  I really want to stay away from chasing rings for now, and I'd like to just make one from a sapling or branch.  But I always thought ERC had to be all heartwood.

bowkee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:25:16 pm »
rAINMAN, the last ERC I did was both Sap And Heart wood, it is pretty brittle so keep it wide and have a backing like rawhide.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:58:07 am »
HOWDY,  There is some difference of opinion on sapwood vs heartwood with juniper.  I think everyone agrees that sapwood backed, or even all sapwood bows work fine.   Some folks think that an all heartwood bow is betterin that it will take less set.  With ERC the heartwood is certainly prettier!  My advice is just to make it as wide as the sapling will allow and consider backing it with sinew or rawhide.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »
yeah I would definitely either back it with sinew or rawhide.  But juniper makes a fantastic bow.  It's so damn flexible when backed that it's like pulling a giant rubber band.  Try to make your tips narrow and very deep to keep weight down on the tips.  But it will make a fantastic bow!

Marietta, Georgia