Author Topic: Tiller check please (arc eye is setting in) :)  (Read 5763 times)

Offline dwardo

Tiller check please (arc eye is setting in) :)
« on: May 27, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
Ayup all,

Finally managed to save enough cash to get my workshop roof done so its been bow makin madness since.
I have a few bits of wood left from last year not the best bits but its my own fault for not planning ahead :(

This is a sliver of yew that was taken from a 7ft pipe straigh stave that ended up showing all sorts of problems after splitting, broke my heart but i have put it all to use from knife scales to axe handles.

Can you lot please let me know where i am going wrong with this liitle bow. Its about 45lb at 19" so far 59" ntn
I am after what ever draw length i can get and i can flip the tips or what ever you lot might think. I just cant get my eye back in yet after a long break (shouldnt say brake!!)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Tiller check please (arc eye is setting in) :)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »
Wow it's looking good to me.. Maybe a few scrapes midlimb out if you are willing to give up some weight.  The left limb looks a little stronger than the right but you can just make the right limb the top which would make it perfect.  Great work, man!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:21:09 pm »
What's your full draw length?  If I'm completely opened up I'll go 28", but the other week I made a 60"ntn hickory D bow for a buddy's birthday that I was drawing to 25" and it was accurate at 20 yards.  Tell you the truth, I kinda prefer to draw at about 25" with a D bow at this length.  Just seems like the best blend of what works for me.  But, everyone's different, right?!

Looks real good...
1’—>1’

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »
Wow it's looking good to me.. Maybe a few scrapes midlimb out if you are willing to give up some weight.  The left limb looks a little stronger than the right but you can just make the right limb the top which would make it perfect.  Great work, man!   :)

More than happy for it to loose more than a few lbs i dont really like to shoot anything over 50-55 lbs. Its currently only at a scraper finish so i may sand it all out and then sand from mid limb out. Thanks :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:35:02 pm »
What's your full draw length?  If I'm completely opened up I'll go 28", but the other week I made a 60"ntn hickory D bow for a buddy's birthday that I was drawing to 25" and it was accurate at 20 yards.  Tell you the truth, I kinda prefer to draw at about 25" with a D bow at this length.  Just seems like the best blend of what works for me.  But, everyone's different, right?!

Looks real good...

My draw is 28 3/4" but i am gonna have to be realistic with this one, just gotta learn a new anchor point!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »
If i want to eeek as much draw length out of this bow where is it best to start removing more wood? also what can i safely expect from this length?

I have some silk to back it if that would make any difference, i just cant hack this 22 inch draw :(

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:14 pm »
I'd release more of the left limb until they are evened up then see where you are at.  From there, maybe move a bit more of the last quarter of the limbs?  Stay away from the handle area.  After shooting it in a little bit, I bet you'll be at 25".  If it were mine, I'd call it 25" draw.  I've never worked with Yew though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Once it's dead even on both sides, I'd just take a few scrapes away evenly on both limbs and shoot, repeat if necessary.  Work the bow...
That's how I've been doing my D bows.
Hope it works out for ya.
1’—>1’

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »
Just gaveway at 23 :( bang it went.

I didnt expect anything from this from the minute i splitt the bloody thing, lots of black veins of mineral deposit. Oh well.

Next!

Another wych elm bow, this one is getting a black silk back i think...

Natural Kink and deflex in liimb

Out to 29

Dog wondering when i am gonna stop messing about and chew one of these sticks :)

at least some of it was put to use

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:27:00 pm by dwardo »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:43 pm »
Damn, I got here too late!
It looked a bit lik ean ELB style bow, in which case I'd say the outer limbs weren't working enough (they do look a bit fat >:D ), and it looked a bit short for that style.
Did it break in the middle? Go on post a pic...I've shown my latest breakage :P
BTW. Ilove that second bow, it's really working hard, I like the steep fades, looks real edgy, and that deep handle, very stylish/sculptural, and those curves could drive a man wild. ;D
Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:06:29 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »
It started out as a 69 inch yew longbowish but horrible things just kept cropping up out of the wood :(
If i had of been realistic i would have tried for a flat bow out of it but i was stuck on a ELB type not listening to the wooood!

Alright the pics of shame,.,. ::)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »
At least I was right about where it would go ::).
It's nature's way of slapin' us down when we get too big for our boots (or the women folk have forgotten to do it :o)
Still that second one pushes the limits nicely ;D
Del

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:47 pm »
The little sapwood pin knot in the bottom picture dead center  :P

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 05:08:20 am »
BTW. That Axe handle is really pretty. mine needs a new handle, maybe that's another job for the winter.
Del

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 11:50:30 am »
BTW. That Axe handle is really pretty. mine needs a new handle, maybe that's another job for the winter.
Del

Cheers Del ;) It was my aunties axe who was given it by my Grandfather who passed away some years ago.
I Cleaned up the head to find to my surprise it was an old Gransforths Burks Axe, same as mne :)

The Snakey looking elm has just had a backing of black silk and look spretty cool.
Just gotta wait until it dries out again, little bit more sanding then a finish.

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 09:09:33 pm »
looks like the edge- on the back- of that bow was pretty square. I tend to round 'em over before much bending......

a square edge is where a splinter is most likely to lift.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.