Author Topic: Osage seeds  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Osage seeds
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
Osage does grow in Southern Ontario.  I bought some Osage a few years ago that had been harvested in the Hamilton area
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »
how far south will it grow anyone know?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 06:00:51 pm »
I get mine from Montgomery AL.  I have a few growing in my yard in Birmingham, AL too.  So at least that far south..  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »
im about two hours south of montgomery

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 06:09:31 pm »
It SHOULD grow around there.. Not sure though.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:53 pm »
Here is part of my new crop for this year. If you can get a dozen hedge apples in the fall and put them in a five gallon bucket of water, let that sit out and freeze and thaw all winter then about the first of April (depending on your location) take a stick and mash that all up to a nasty looking goop, scrape out a shallow trench, pour all that along in there and you will have more osage seedlings than you know what to do with.  :o

Alan

Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 02:21:07 am »
My farm was a cattle pasture when we bought it.  There were a few trees in gulleys and along the fence row.  Since I really wanted to live in a forrest, I 've let about 15 or 20 acres of the the 50 grow up.  And I planted 500 trees the first year.  The trees that were natural to the farm were a couple hickories, walnut, elm, ash. BL and Hedgeapple.  In the 10 years we've had the farm, some of the new walnuts have produced nuts. I have cut maybe 10 osage sapplings for bows and some of the BL are 6" diameter.  Oh, and there are a couple ash sapplings that are 3" dia. that may or may not be harvested this year.

These are pics of sappling I harvested last summer.  Now some might have been in drainage areas that hadn't been mowed for a year or so prior to us buy the place.  But, most grew up in the 10 year period.

So, you might be able to make a bow from osage sapplings before your grand kids can draw one back.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:29:04 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw