Author Topic: Reprieve from the corner of shame!  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Reprieve from the corner of shame!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:00 am »
Very nice save Pat, That a beauty of a bow,she will love that I am sure. Yall have fun this weekend,I got to make that one some day. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 08:21:25 am »
Sweet little bow, Pat. Tissue paper, yeah, sure. Hopefully you washed your old drawers before you cut 'em up and glued them on there. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 09:57:27 am »
Pat that bow looks great. nice job on the tip glue up.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Diligence

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 10:02:38 am »
"Hopefully you washed your old drawers before you cut 'em up and glued them on there"          @hillbilly - THAT was funny, and a somewhat disturbing mental image.  >:D O:)
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »
Very nice work! Looking forward to the full draw.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »
Don, I'll get a pic of the recipient at full draw this weekend at the Hickory NC shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 01:10:46 am »
Nice bow Pat.  I have some of that leopard print and zebra stripe paper in the closet just waiting for the right bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 01:20:34 am »
It's cool stuff, outlaw. I guess you could print out different patterns on your computer and use that to back bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 01:37:03 am »
If she doesn't like the leopard skin, you might be able to find some discounted valentines day tissue paper with hearts on it! 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PeteC

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 09:34:02 am »
Nice save Pat.Looks like she'll be gettin' a shooter. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 02:40:14 pm »
Excellent job, Pat.  I love rescuing old projects like this, but this one is magnificent.  What a special gift for Hannah.  Great art work on the back.  Love the underlays.  Super imagination.  Well done.
Dan

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 04:09:32 pm »
Looks vey neat!, I'm sure she will be really happy with it!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »
Dang Pat that is a real fine looking bow,guess you learned a thing or two in the intervening years. :)
Now is the good old days

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:55 pm »
Pat
That is a great save of a "lost" bow.  I really like the underlays, they look sharp.  I'm sure she will be real happy with her new bow.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 11:10:23 am »
Hannah was surprised and very pleased with her new bow  8) ...except she is left handed and the bow is right handed. ::) I guess I didn't listed well enough when I should have. The hard part about it was getting Hannah to give it back to me to take home to fix the problem. Actually, had I known(listened  ::) ) she is a lefty I probably wouldn't have reprieved this bow for the project so I guess it's true that things generally happen for a reason.  ;)
  The fix should be easy enough. I will reshape the handle after rasping down the cut in shelf and add a leather rest(shelf) on the other side. It's a nice rainy day today so I'll have a chance to get the repair started.
  Thanks for all the nice comments. I have reprieved other bows like this on a few occasions before and see it as a good idea, especially for the newer bowyers out there. You get to examine old problems and come up with a remedy down the road that will give you clearer thinking and a remedy for a problem situation from an earlier attempt. I even save broken bows and study them at a later date. This will let you what went wrong in the first place and with a clearer mind fine a solution to the problem that caused the break. I still have the first osage bow I ever made that broke when it was way over drawn by a novice. I still look at the break on occasion and realize that it broke right where is was supposed to when overdrawn. If you accept your failures as failures then they are failures. If you look at them as learning experiences and achieve knowledge from them then they are not failures but learning experiences that will keep you in a positive direction in when making future bows.
  I didn't have a chance to get a full draw pic this weekend but as soon as the handle is reworked and the finishing touches are done, I'll get a good pic of Hannah and her new bow and a good full draw pic with Hannah to go along with it.