Author Topic: Reprieve from the corner of shame!  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Reprieve from the corner of shame!
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »
Patrick Brennan(lil Pat) asked me if I would make a bow for his girlfriend, Hannah. Hannah hasn't shot a bow much but it was determined that 20#@20" would be a good place to start. I tillered this bow out to beyond 26" so she could grow into it.
  The bow is a hickory recurve I made at least 10 years ago(notice cut out arrow shelf). The curves started pulling out as I originally tillered it way back then and it developed a hinge just below one recurve. Into the corner of shame for this one! >:(
  Ten Years After(an I giving my age)...to deal with the hinge and the curves pulling out I opted to add a walnut tip underlay. I didn't want to mess with the tips anymore so I traced them on to the black walnut as they were, cut out the walnut and flattened the glue surfaces and glued them up. After reshaping I thought they came out pretty good, not evenly curved but a good glue up for me. ;D  I didn't want to add more weight to the tips so I drew tip overlays with a black Sharpie pen  ;D  and the leopard skin pattern back is tissue paper...back to my old tricks. The handle wrap is some black braided nylon embroidery thread.
  This little bow shoots like a dream. No hand shock and for it's relative low weight she really spits an arrow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Reprieve from the corner of shame!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »
Awesome Bow, Pat!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
Hey Pat,
       Ther's what is was and then there's what it is.....that young lady ought to be liken that bow. Very nice
Rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:45 pm »
nice save , good job using what u had

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll meet Hannah for the first time this weekend at the Hickory, NC shoot and present the bow to her or give it to Patrick to give to her. Either way I'm sure she'll love it.
  This is a good reason to never throw a broken or badly bent bow away. You never know when it's real time may come around.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »
Nice bow Pat!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »
Oh my! That is a gorgeous bow! Nice rescue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Frode

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »
Nice bow!  Those underlays are great looking!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 11:19:03 pm »
Cool leopard print!  Best make up a set of matching arrows too....you know how much young gals like their "accessories"...  ;)
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

stickbow

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:27 pm »
Nice looking bow Pat. Very interesting camo.

bowkee

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:47 pm »
Sure looks sharp :)I didn't know ya could put wood underlays.Phillip

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:06:28 am »
Cool leopard print!  Best make up a set of matching arrows too....you know how much young gals like their "accessories"...  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Well said and NICE BOW SAVE!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:57 am »
I had lots of fun finishing this bow and feel so good that it is going to a friend(to be) to begin her archery journey. Alan Brown has already made the arrows for Hannah and I tillered the bow to their recommendations....but I'm sure, Jaye, they will suit the young lady!  ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:20:43 am »
Very nice Save Pat...and I really like the rebirth of an Old Bow...and the Tissue Paper thang again..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 01:22:56 am »
Mike, check out the TG trade bow. New pics today!  ;)