Author Topic: Mackenzie and AZ adventures  (Read 4558 times)

Offline NTD

Mackenzie and AZ adventures
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »
Been doing a lot of road herping lately.  It's a 2 birds with one arrow situation.  I get to go out and see snakes and collect skins and it puts my daughter right to sleep on her fussy nights.  We have been focusing on sidewinder territory as both Frank and I are trying to get a young pair to work with.  We found 3 yearlings in 10 days and about 12 adults, including 2 gravid females.  I was able to get my young pair of sidewinders right away, Frank's still waiting on a female ;D

An in situ adult sidewinder

The male I kept.  Yes that's a quarter next to him

The new babies' cage

Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

Re: Mackenzie and AZ adventures
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00:33 am »
While out Frank brought us to go see one of the biggest saguaro's in AZ...Impressive eh?

And Mackenzie is doing great, She still has some issues but we understand that we will have a lifetime of health problems.  SO we're gonna enjoy all the good stuff ;D  She has started on real food.  Scares the crap outta me that she is already eating.  Going too quick!!

Nate Danforth

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:28:07 am »
You have a beautiful daughter, Nate.
Living a dream...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:06 am »
     God bless you guys, and especially Mackenzie!  What an absolute sweet heart!  She is just adorable!

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:00 pm »
 She's a pretty, sweet looking little girl, Nate. Cool snakes, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »
what an adorable little girl!!!  your collecting snakes?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:17 pm »
She is sure growing fast....and treasure every moment...because they will only come around once!

Nice Herps there Nate...we don't see Sidewinders here in the Panhandle...just Diamondbacks and Coontails....thats about it...besides the Adders...King.... Whips...Racers...and Bullsnakes
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:32 pm »
Thanks Guys!!!  It's been a relief to have her doing so well.

Aero, I've always maintained a large collection of captive bred exotic reptiles.  I've had an albino western diamondback now for a year and half.  Always been fascinated with sidewinders so decided to find a pair of babies to raise up and eventually breed.  I've read a few accounts now of maternal care in crotalids and I'd like to work with sidewinders and see the potential for that behavior with this species.  My friend Frank and his field partner Hugh McCrystal have documented this behavior in C. lepidus and C. willardi, both in captivity and in the wild. 

I don't usually collect wild herps but here in AZ the only legal way for me to keep sidwinders is gifted from someone else or field collected by myself.  These animals were found on the road and very likely would have been squished at some point, not guranteed but likely.

Mike,
When you talk about coontails are you talking about prairie rattlers or mojaves?  I know a lot of species are described as coontails, just curious what you see specifically.
We have 13 species of rattlesnake here.  On the roads you usually are only going to find Western Diamonbacks and Mojaves.  You can occasionally find Blacktails and Tigers and Sidewinders, but they have very specific habitat and you have to kind of look for them on specific roads.  Longnoses and Gophers are also VERY common.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:48 pm »
I guess I am talking about Prairie rattlers...this one swallowed a Bunny....... :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:42:10 pm »
Oh no.... prairies are little, at least compared to those guys.  Them there are western diamondbacks (C. atrox).  I want to see what your calling DB's ;D ;)  The neat thing about rattlesnakes is that individual species are so variable in color/pattern even within a population not to mention locality differences.  Mojaves and Diamondbacks can be tough to differentiate, especially in my area where it has been suspected they are hybridizing.  We find a lot of mojaves that look DBish and BD's that look mojaveish.  If you notice my DB's that i sent you look nothing like a lot of the guys in Texas and Midwest have but they're still DB's.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:16:46 am »
My Bad......... :-[....meant Prairie Rattler....Coontails are the Local Diamondbacks...here is one of a Prairie Rattler on the Road in September of 2007

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 12:21:28 am »
Ah there we go ;D  That's a great pic.  Very dark animal.  Thanks for the pics Mike!
Nate Danforth