Author Topic: my new lodge  (Read 8046 times)

Offline n2everythg

Re: my new lodge
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:15 am »
Man that is super cool. Really like the art work on the canvas.
to transport the lodgepoles do you just throw them on a rack on your car? What kind of wood are they and are they heavy?
looks great.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:21 am »
Wade,

The poles are lodge pole pine. I haven't weighed them, but lodge pole is a relatively light weight wood. I carry the poles on the roof rack of my truck.

Cracker,

An ozan is an interior awning. It provides additional warmth in cold climates.
Gordon

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »
That is a very nice tipi Gordon.  I really want one too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 02:36:34 pm »
Beautiful, never had the chance to sleep in one, yet, but walked into a few to check them out.  The artwork on that one is as nice as I've seen.  Very nice - thanks for posting that!
1’—>1’

HatchA

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »
Very nice indeed!!

I'm guessing the answer's "yes" but are the canvas ones suitable for "all year 'round" use?   As in, could I set one up in my back garden and leave it there indefinitely?  Does the canvas need to be treated for water-proofing or does the ozan help with that too?

I've got a crappy little 5 man dome tent that my kids keep hassling me to put up so we can "camp out" in the garden.  I'd much rather have something like that to use whenever the feeling takes me.  (also, it'd be very useful for if/when I pee off the wife and end up in the dog house ;D

Grunt

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:16 pm »
Cool in the summer warm in the winter. The NA mostly set up with the door facing east and upon entering moved to the left in a sunwise or clockwise direction. I sewed tipis and other historical shelters for Four Seasons Lodges about thirty years ago. Great paint job. Good place to be in a storm.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »
That's a great looking Lodge, I want one badly. Also some of the nicest artwork that I've seen on a tipi. Later Bob

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »
Hatch, the canvas used for my lodge is suitable for year-round use, but not all canvas materials are. An ozan is not needed to keep dry. Proper smoke flap managment and smooth poles are the key.
Gordon

Lombard

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:56 pm »
That looks awesome!

HatchA

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »
Thanks Gordon.  Something for me to look into I think.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:17 am »
I must say, gordon, that is one of the nicest tipis I have seen, fantastic artwork. show some pics of the liner art, it is great. geez...mine looks kinda naked now..

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 02:13:56 am »

Gordon, that is cool! :o 8)  Cracker, thanks for asking what an "Ozan" is.  You took the words right off of my finger tips! ;)
Gordon, what do you mean it takes you longer than an hour to set up the Tipi ?  Aren't you married?  Squaw put up tipi, not man! ::)
Squaw put up tipi, make cook fire, cook food.  Clean tipi.  You hunt for food, she clean, cook, make leather, clothes, moccasins!  An Ozan is for keeping warm during the winter months?  You need big winter squaw! ;D  In fact, if you're a good hunter, get two, one for each side....... ;D ;D ::)   Ah, yes, I can see you now, about three hundred years ago, you coming back from a very successful hunt, ......."Here flapping beak, clean deer, hang deer up, scrape hide, clean turkey, save feathers for me, cook turkey.  Oh, me need new moccasins, one of the beads came off.  Tell Waddlilng Bear, to bring more fire wood.  Now me rest, and smoke pipe.  How soon food be ready?"  You see Gordon, that is how it was done in the day. ;)  Ah yes, the good ol days......before divorce attorneys......" Flapping beak gets the tipi, and Waddling Bear, the horse.  You get the dog.  Oh, sorry, I forgot you ate it.  You can keep one pair of moccasins, the ones with the holes in them, and the breech clout, and leggings, and one coyote robe.  Flapping Beak, and Waddling bear will split up all other assets in the tipi.  Your bow collection will go for my fees.  Now, your Summer squaws, have also filed a claim....... Little Stinging Nettle, and Bucolic hornet, want same as Winter Squaws!  I suggest you catch some more horses, and build some more bows, and arrows, to trade for items they want, a couple of horses should cover my fees.  Times have changed haven't they? ::)  But really nice lodge! 8)

Wayne

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 02:59:36 am »
Funny story Wayne, but I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.
Gordon

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 04:29:20 am »

The point is the wife sets up the tipi!  8) The Man directs. 8)  Then it wouldn't take you over an hour to set up. ;D
Of course back then, the wife usually owned the tipi, so that could make for problems in itself. ;)  You don't have anyone to help you set it up?  I would think that would be a two person job at least.

Wayne

Offline Gordon

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:05 am »
Ah, okay. Well we certainly do live in different times. One person can setup a 16 foot tipi by themselves, but it takes a little practice.
Gordon