Author Topic: Red Osage  (Read 4355 times)

Offline yazoo

Re: Red Osage
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »
some of the red osage is just from concetrated orange in the wood,,  other is the first sign of starting to rot,,that type is not good  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:11 pm »
 Mike, I had a bamboo backed osage bow that had read streaks running through the board. It blew up like a bomb. Must have been the rotten stage?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »
If osage is like any other hardwood tree...the mineral content in the ground has a huge effect on the color of the wood.  All the red osage I've ever dealt with seemed denser. But denser is only better if it's also stiffer.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 12:19:27 am »
Some of the best bows I've seen made of osage were colored like that. It seems to be more dense and is waxy and heat bends better than regular yellow osage.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:21 am »
   I worked a bow last year with a red ring near the top, i was going to use the ring but I noticed it seemed brittle and crumbled under the dry knife so i removed it. I think it could go either way. Steve

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:18 am »
hey folks,

i have run into some of what you all are talking about.  it was rather hard for me to determine if it was natural or a part of the osage that was beginning to deterioate(?) and rot.  i did not trust it.  might have been a terrible mistake on my part.  perhaps, someone might have thought the same thing.

Luke