Author Topic: Recurve help  (Read 1572 times)

Offline RyanY

Recurve help
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »
I'm working on a hickory recurve and for some reason the string and tips keep wanting to track to the right, mostly on the bottom limb. I don't see any limb twist so it looks like its all in the tip. Before brace the tips look like they're in line but after shooting a few it tracks to the right. The limbs feel even in thickness from right to left. What do you guys think is the problem and what do you think I can do to fix it? Thanks a ton.

Offline RyanY

Re: Recurve help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:55 pm »
Idea: Although putting string bridges on wouldn't fix the problem would they at least be able to keep the string centered?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:03 pm »
 They probally would work till you pulled the string and released it. I doubt it would go back to where you were trying to force it, to. Try cutting your nock groove a little deeper on the right side so it will come back the other direction. If that doesn't work the wood might be a tad stronger on the right side so try removing some there and see if it twist back to the left. I'd try the nocks first.

Also I've heated one, or both limbs and bent them towards the side I wanted the string to track on. This requires heat, small blocks, and a vice clamped in the handle area. And slow, patience.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »
Thanks a lot. I've tried everything but the heat treating so it may be my last resort. I'll try that. Thanks.  :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »
what about adjusting string groove depth ??

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:45:04 pm »
I just realized what I said makes no sense. How can only the tip twist?! Must be some minor limb twist that is exaggerated by the recurve.