Author Topic: Rock ID Help  (Read 1916 times)

Offline luis32

Rock ID Help
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:51:53 am »
Hi its been a long time since I posted but it just that I have been very busy but Im always thinking about PA, wanting to make a bow everytime I see a tree  :). Anyways the reason Im posting is because I found some rock while fishing,and this rock looks like what some of you guys use to make arrowheads and knifes.I need you help, could you please tell me if this rock can be used to make something primitive like arrowhead and knifes ,I really need a lot of help since I dont know anything about flintknapping and flint rocks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Rock ID Help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:18 am »
Looks kind like obsidian with a lot of ash inclusions or slag glass.  What state you in?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:24:49 am »
Don't know where you got the stuff, but it sure looks glassy.  I'll bet you could make a point out of it
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:55:50 am »
Looks like snow flake obsidian to me. If it is, it'll make what ya want - just really brittle..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:11:31 am »
What everybody else said, but a general location would really help.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline luis32

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
Thanks for all the help.I live in CT and I found this rock in near a creek hope that helps

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »
Most likely is it is slag from an iron furnace. Either a fairly  recent one or one as old as the revolutionary war. I live along the susquehanna river in Lancaster PA and many of the river banks and stream banks have that material on them.  There were  a lot of iron furnaces all over way back when. A sure fire way to tell is to crack it and smell it . It will probably smell like sulfur.  There is probably bubbles in it also. It will flake but it is very brittle.
steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:47:28 pm »
I se a purplish sheen in one picture that looks like glass. I'll go with slag glass, too. But it will knap real easy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline arappaho

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »
Yes, luis, since you found this in CT and there is NO naturally occurring obsidian east of the Mississippi,
I have to agree with caveman. Good luck with the knapping.

Joe