Author Topic: coconut wood  (Read 4399 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
coconut wood
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:28:30 am »
I just got hold of a 1"thick plank of coconut wood. Does anyone  have any experience of it? Appears to be very hard and I know the trees can take a lot of bending in storms before they break, so  thought it must be worth a try.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Lombard

Re: coconut wood
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:52:18 am »
Awesome, you might well be breaking new ground with that coconut plank. As they say, just do it. I for one will be looking forward to the photos.

If your plank is wide enough, you might have enough wood to try, a self bow (depending on grain), and perhaps a couple different backed bows. Sure sounds intriguing to me.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:27:51 pm »
Some tribes in the tropics have been using palm wood like coconut for bows for a while. I have seen and held a reproduction and it seems pretty robust. The one I saw was similar in dimensions to an ELB, long and fairly deep in section, pretty round in cross section.

I have not made a bow from this wood but I have worked it and turned it on my lathe so these are just some of my observations based on that experience.

Be careful when cutting the board as the hard fibers may separate from the softer "filler" wood and they can be quite sharp. The density of the hard fibers may vary across the board, similar to bamboo. The more dense areas will be better for a bow. I would also suggest making nocks by wrapping twine or sinew around the nock end as the fibers can pull apart fairly easily so cut in nocks may not be the best.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:49 pm »
Well the only thing about it I know is what u said I believe it is in the palm tree family and also it does take a beating as far as high winds!  They nearly bend right over to the ground and then stand right back up!  Can we see a picture of the wood!  I also bet that u might be on to the next best thing in bow building!  You better pattend ur idea ;)!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »
Funny, I thoughtof coconuts, I wonder if coconut shell would make a nice tip overlay, I know they carve it for ornamental purposes.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:11 pm »
 Del.. That's something that makes ya go hmmmmm ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »
 I've shot a very fast bow a friend made from Black Palm.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »
I have also shot and made bows from the palm family and they work very well..

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »
I've heard of black palm in reading some things but was figuring it doesn't really grow here in S. Florida.  Does it?  What species of palm would work?  Sorry, don't mean to hijack but I'm super curious...
1’—>1’

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 06:17:40 pm »
Yes, I get a good feeling about it too, paid about $55  for it and should make 3-4 bows. It is quite unsual  stuff , doesnt look like normal wood grain, but it is so roughly cut wouldnt be worth posting a pic. , I need to plane a surface and photo it' then  you'll get more idea what it looks like, Russ. I'll do it in the next few days. Judging by the weight it must be nearly as dense as the densest tropical trees. I heard the wood its hardest  on the outside of the tree and softest in the centre , but I've got no way to know where this plank came from in the tree. I'll just have to experiment.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:05 am »
Maybe if you float the plank in a swimming pool one side will float higher than the other.  If it's too different from side to side you might have to watch for prop twist.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »
 Steve, the friend I was talking about that has the palm bow is Claude.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?