Author Topic: Broadheads: Two blade or three blade?  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Diligence

Broadheads: Two blade or three blade?
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:33:35 am »
Okay team, what's your preference and why?  What is your favorite, and least favorite?

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Broadheads: Two blade or three blade?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:14:55 am »
I have Zwicky 2 blade, Grizzlys, and Wensels(3 blade) Any or all have proven records.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:15 am »
Wenzel 3 Blades...and Magnus Stingers (2)or Buzzcuts (4)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »
Any thoughts on the MA-2 or MA-3?

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »
We have some of both. My favorites are some Stos (130's glued onto 125 gr screw in adapters). I also have some Woodsmans I traded my buddy Art for, but I haven't fixed the whistling yet. We have some MA-3's but I think they'd best be for really close deer or turkey. Literally a "bodkin" kinda head. Both have places where they shine and all. I guess my personal preference comes down to two blades because overal they have the most applications, are easier to pull out of a back quiver, and if your set up isn't perfectly tuned they don't react as badly as three blades do. Nothing like seeing how broadheads fly only to have it go flying off where it shouldn't :o!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:09:31 am »
Ace /Grizzly/Magus/Zwicky/stone/trade point,all in 2 blade,better penetration. Maybe not quite as good a blood trail ;but I can most always find them if they die. :) deep or pass through is always better. :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Boofus

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »
Grizzly El Grande 190 grain, Like pappy said 2 blade penetrates better. Do yourself a favor and read Dr. Ashby's "leathality studies on broadheads" i learned a lot from it and i think you might enjoyable and facinating as well.

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »
2 blade for me also.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Diligence

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:17:36 pm »
Thanks to all.

D

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
I've only shot 1 deer so far, but it was with a 2 blade magnus out of a 43# bow.   The deer only ran about 25 yards and only the fletching remained in the deer.  So I plan on sticking with 2 blade heads for a while.  Until I can knap better. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Brock

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »
primarily 2 blade shooter...for almost 20 years of traditional bowhunting...but I do have some original Snuffers I have shot a few times...but keep going back to my 2 bladed Ribteks or Grizzlies.  Though I must admit, a good friend in Md (Phil Harris) uses the Snuffer as does another friend (Tony S) and they both put down some big deer, bear, etc.  I saw Phil shoot a blacky in Sask few years ago...it did not stop until it lodged in OFFSIDE shoulder after going through ribs on both sides....taxidermist asked if it was a 12g slug or 16g slug he used....seriously...the hole was massive.

half eye

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »
Diligence,
      Been huntin archery gear since the very early 60's, started with bear razorheads (no bleeders), went to zwickey eskimos, MA-2,s and a few others ya probably never heard of. Killed a lot of deer and never with anything but a fixed 2 blade, scary sharp. These and a good weight arrow, and real good shooting.....ya wont be sorry. just my experience.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:31:00 am »
fixed 2 blade, scary sharp

I think that's everything you need to know in a nutshell.  After reading Ashby's body of work, it is plainly clear....Fixed 2 blade, scary sharp.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

kinkfeather

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »
i go along with halfeye an jw 2 blade scary sharp.i have killed deer since 1962 plenty with bear razer heads,woodsman,an magnus.kink

Offline woodstick

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:18 am »
150 grain silvertip out of my old 30-06 meatstick, na i use magnus 2 blade good luck with em.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken