Author Topic: IPE/HB Recurve Bow  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Eagle Eye Eli

IPE/HB Recurve Bow
« on: May 22, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »
Guys, I am about to attempt my first recurve bow.  The materials I will use are an Ipe slat 64" long X 1 1/4" wide X 3/8 " thick and a hickory backing 3/16" thick glued up with TB III.  I have read TBB II on steam bending wood and have an idea how to do it. The question is, do I steam bend both the ipe and hickory together or one at a time. I will be building a form to do the bending and after doing so i will glue it up.  Oh second question should I stay with a working recurve or attempt a static curve both are new to me.  As for the draw weight i have no idea what it will be, i will strive for anything over 40#  Any advise  you guys could give would be great.

Eli. ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: IPE/HB Recurve Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:53:41 pm »
 Cut your glue up form to the shape you want your bow. And then glue it and clamp it to the form till it dries. If you glue it with TB3 and try to heat it it will come apart. And Ipe doesn't bend good with heat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:57 am »
Yup what Eddie said. If its a backed bow there is no need to pre bend with steam or dry heat. Just glue the pieces together, wrap it with plastic wrap and then a rubber strip from an inner tube or something. Then put it in a form to hold the shape until the glue dries. Easy as can be :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:48:52 am »
So, that's how it's done    8)  I've been thinkng about trying something like this, this summer.  Thanks guys.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw