Author Topic: Your favorite bow  (Read 11625 times)

Offline tdog

Your favorite bow
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »
First of all, I will be up front with you guys, I am starting this thread because I want to see some pictures of bows plain and simple. I just started making bows(finished my first a couple weeks ago) and I like to get inspiration and ideas from you guys on future bows.

So, if you don't mind, post a picture or two(or five) of your favorite bow. I know it may be hard for most of you to narrow it down to just one bow, but post a pic of your current favorite or the bow you are most proud of. I would like to have a thread to save to reference for ideas on layout, wood types, tip overlays, etc.

Thanks from a bowmaking newbie!
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Your favorite bow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:24:32 pm »
My favorite bow is the one I am shooting or making at the time.  ;D   I'll try to post a few pics for you this evening.
  Welcome tp PA and the addiction of wood bow building. I think you are hooked!!! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »
 ;D ....you sly old dog .... I'll get the camera out ... ;D

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:10:33 pm »
Take a look at the Bow Of The Month threads, lots of pictures there of great bows.  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline tdog

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:14 pm »
Take a look at the Bow Of The Month threads, lots of pictures there of great bows.  :)

Thanks, I'll do that also. I just thought having a single thread that I could save to a favorites list would be a great reference to myself(or others). I like to see others ideas for grip style, tip overlays, staining options, bow layout, bow style, etc. Plus it would be a great way to show someone who might be interested in trying bowmaking the many options and beautiful craftsmanship that is out there.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:22 pm »
i assume u mean ones that i built , there are lots of bows on here that are better but for ease of shooting and just plain fun i like this one i built a month or two ago the best

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:32 pm »
Moderators and Admins.....( you know who you are  ;D 8) ;D )

I think this is one dang good idea!
A my fav bow thread or even a main discission area dedicated only to bow pics, ntn,ttt, #, type of wood, etc...would be very beneficial to all of us..Especially newbies and frustrated newbies like me ??? ??? ;D.
I believe it would not only be an asset to PA, but an inspiration to all of the members.

I know I would truely enjoy a discussion area like this

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:31:18 am »
Here is a few pics of handles I use mostly. One finished with rattan wrap the other naked showing the leather overlays to fill out the bulbous style handle.

This is my go to bow for the last few years. Yew selfbow(47#@26") with only bear fat finish, bison tip overlays and hemp cord handle wrap with floppy rest.

same bow on stand in GA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:55 am »
Pat B
See what I mean.....Good pics, beautiful bows, and inspiration!!!!!!!!!
Think about it.....(i.e. MAIN DISCUSSION AREA) :o :) :o

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline tdog

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:25 am »
Thanks Pat. That is exactly what I was looking for. The more variety the better. Obviously you like the rattan, I would have thought it would be slick on the hand. Is it? Do you apply it with TB III or similar glue?

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:38 am »
The rattan makes a very good handle wrap. It is comfortable, has good traction and is suitable for all weather conditions. I soak the rattan in warm water wrap it tucking the beginning under the wrap and tucking the tag end under a few wraps. I then add a bit of super glue hear and there and that seems to hold well.   The only negative is I use 1/8" wide rattan and it takes a continuous piece about 16' long for my 4" handles.
  I also like the hemp cord wrap. I buy it at Wally World. It is wrapped the same as the rattan but I saturate it with 2ton epoxy thinned with acetone. Weather proof, feels good in the hand, good traction and cheap!  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:15:03 am »
Those are surely good lookin' bows! There are some bows on my site. You can see them there. Ain't no way I'm posting my uglies with these pretties! :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
tdog,
      I like the short NA bows, but also the Mollegabets. Here's one of the Mollegabets....carved oak, started out at 75# and I retillered it to the low 60's (it's an old man thing).
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 10:47:16 am »
My favorite is one at any given time is usually my most recent one.  But most new flings eventually fade in favor of old standbys.  Out of a wall full of bows, this osage stick is a few years old, but is one of my go-to bows.  I always go back to bows of this design.

Offline tdog

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 10:50:10 am »
Ken75, great looking bow. What wood did you use?

Rich, wow! Great bow, the carving looks awesome. Where do mollegabets originate? They look similar to holmgaards to me.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)