Author Topic: Homemade scraper?  (Read 5379 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

Homemade scraper?
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »
Hey Folks
What would be a good way to make a low cost scraper. :-\ I have a surform, but no draw knife. Tryin to get the right tools together.
Thanks
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Homemade scraper?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:41 pm »
Find you a couple pair of old scissors, break them apart,,,,,and you have a great scraper to start with.

Offline gpw

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
Ron , you can make a scraper out any good piece of steel  (old saw blades are great)  , and I even used  a lawn edger blade for a scraper ... worked fine ...  Knife blades, broken glass,even tin can lids in a pinch... whatever you can scare up with an edge ...   Gotta' remember , our ancestors used rocks !!! :o

And scissors , oh yeah !!! Good call stretch !! everybody's got scissors....

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
Ron, after much experimenting, the sharpest and most durable substitute I've found is to take the blade out of a hand planer--works great, just make sure you hold it tight and draw slow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline tombo

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:48 pm »
All the above. Actually, flint is a great scraping material. Used for 1000's of years. Old saw blades are good since they are hard, tempered steel just put a straight edge on it and grind/sharpen at 90` angle. Use a burr to lay over the edges..
Tom

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:05:56 am »
Thanks Ya'll
All good ideas. I'll play around with em.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:40 am »
Scrap piece of banding steel, from the lumber yard. Pocket kinfe, something every working man should have!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:56:05 am »
Hey man I went on amazon and bought a real nice drawknife CHEAP!  I think it was around $20  it works great and there were tons to chose from.  Also I saw in a Ace hardware store a big metal scraper in the paint dept.  I want to try it out for myself too.  It was a package of 2 or 3 small to large about 4 or 5 inches long.  I will take a picture of it maybe it is no good.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:38:10 am »
just like gpw said, handsaw blades are the the best as far as i see it. you can cut them up into any size and shape you want, square teh edges and burnish a hook, you'll be suprised how well they work. one saw blade should be big enough to make a couple scrapers.
45# at 27"

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »
I use an old beat up draw knife lots of matal to grind on pluss you got dood handles so you don't tire you're fingers trying to grip a smaller piece of something.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

jato

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:44 pm »
Ron, i bougt trowel for 80 c, cut out the handle, squared the edge with whetstone and burnished with old screwdriver. It took me 20 min.
works great.
jato.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:53 pm »
How would you go about cutting a saw blade down to size? 

Offline gpw

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 02:41:11 pm »
Probably would have to grind it down (grinding /cutting wheel ).... tough stuff !!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 03:41:24 pm »
You can score it with a cold chisel and break it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:53:51 pm »
What Pat said will work make sure you wear eye protection it can send a tiny shard that always seems to have eyeball written all over it. Personally when working with stuff like that I use a cut off wheel on a dye grinder.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?