Author Topic: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow  (Read 17919 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

Re: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48:25 am »
Although good at wood-working, and a newbie at bow making, I have yet to finish my first. Trust me the let-down is bad. The next day you look at it and say...What did or didn't I do!!! The answer is....Listen to these guys....READ, LEARN, AND KEEP TRYIN!
I'm on my 3rd, I know the feeling.(i.e. the 1st 2 blew up)

DON'T let the addiction die.

EL D's line is the best.....Do or do not, there is no try........

Keep strokin, shavin, sandin, and shapin. It will happen!

God Bless
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »
Yeah, it exploded right where the knot originally fractured.  You can see it in the last pic.  I had put some super glue in it the night before, then was working it a little today.  Got it up to full draw, heard the tick again, then let 'er down.  I pulled back again about 25"....no tick....pulled the last inch then BOOM. 

The funny thing is, this tick noise had been there from the start of making the bow, and we just thought it was the knot compressing at first.  I'm really saddened by this one, for one it was my first selfbow, and I put a lot of work and love into it, and secondly I don't know where I'm gonna get the wood for another.  Ugh.   :-\

I have only been at it for little over 2 years, and on my 8th bow.   My first one blew also.  I screwed with it too much but learned a ton.  I wanted to make the tiller perfect.  Ended up with a hinge.  Made the bow too light, so wanted to learn how to reflexed the tips.  Made another hinge, wanted to learn how to sinew.  On and on it went.  I finally was able to look at the bow as my learning tool.  My second a bow, a ELB out of expensive yew, almost finished and for some reason, turned backwards and flexed, blew up.  Learned more about tillering, learned more about round belly narrow bows.  Third bow, a kids bow, finished and it blew.  learned some more.  Point I am getting at is that bow was just the cost of learning this.  If you keep at it, I bet you will look back the same way.

Lots of places to get another blank.  I highly suggest yazoo (mike Mcgire) on here.  He has treated me right with top quality stuff.  Tell him exactly what you want.  He will accomidate. Lots of other places.  I go on craigslist and search for osage and found a tree that someone wanted to come down. Lots of work, but well worth it. Hickory is everywhere and dog cheap for no knot straight stuff.     That knot would have scared me, myself for a new builder.  At least a newbie like me.
Westminster, MD

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2010, 01:43:54 pm »
At least a newbie like me.

One thing I've been chewing on for the past couple days is whether I should tell Gary, the man who sold the blank to me and was kind enough to teach me at the Classic how to build it.  He said it was guaranteed for a year, and would repace if broken.  If it ends up being a fault of my own, I wouldn't even consider calling him, but the snaps I was hearing were happening from the first time I drew the bow.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is, should I call him up and let him know, or chalk it up to a loss?  I spent quite a bit of money for it, and want to make sure it was the wood and not me that failed.  I don't want to ask him to send another blank down if it was my fault. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:46 pm »
I would  call Gary and talk to Him bout this...if there is one thing you will learn about these Folks...they are Men of Their words....If Gary gave you a warranty...let Him make the call on the Stave....jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:52 am »
Call Gary ,he will take care of it. He will want you to send it back so he can see the problem,but I can tell you he will stand behind it. To bad but it happens. Don't take it to bad,it was a problem with the wood,not you.ticks are never good in my experience,you try and make yourself believe it is something else,but usually never is. :) :) Call Gary !!!
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:26 am »
sorry to see that. I didn't think any of the other spots were of real concern but when you mentioned the clicking noise I thought, "Oh boy." That ain't never good, but there wasn't much you could do about that. Oh well, I know it's a heart breaker but as Pappy says, "don't ever fall in love with a piece of wood."

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »
Same thing happened to me about 5 years ago with one of Gary's.  I showed him the next year and he cut it on the band saw, and seen it was nothing but an unseen bad spot in the wood and handed me a new one no charge, which he assisted me with.  He's a super guy and is more then eager to make things right.

Like Pappy says, call him, he's a great guy.

John
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
I only just read this post, was about to conratulate you on one of the best first bows I've seen. Then I read on and...... I think its part of the proceess!, some bows blow! on the road to the perfect bow. At least you had it for a while
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 05:23:07 pm »
UPDATE:  I just finished talking to Gary and he offered to send another with no problems.  I made sure to let him know that if it was indeed something I did to cause the failure, I would readily pay for the new stave, and he told me we would settle it at the next Classic.  I would reccommend Gary to anyone.

I just want to say thanks to all those here who offered advice and congratulations on my first bow.  Hopefully you'all can answer more of my questions when I start building again! :)

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 12:19:50 am »
glad it worked out
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"