Main Discussion Area > Bows

Dimensions of Modoc bows?

(1/4) > >>

D. Tiller:
Ok! I'm going to make a Modoc style bow that Steve Allely showed me at Glass Buttes. Unfortunatly I do not know what the dimensions of these bows are typicaly. I know they are sinew backed pyramid styles with pin knocks but besides that have no idea. Anyone know what the dimensions are?

David T.

juniper junkie:
David, you really got the bug! do you have the traditional bowyers bibles? they have some dimensions in there. I have the dimensions on the bow that had the incising on the belly.: 48"L 1.75" at riser fadeouts to 2.25" 5" prior to limb end where it shoulders down to 1.5". the other flat bow was: 40"L 1.5 at the handle tapering to 2.5" mid limb then tapering to 1" in the recurves. remember they were really thin. I enjoyed sharing camp with you and billy.  look forward to seeing the pics of your bows...probably next week with the amount of enthusiasm you have for these short bows. LOL.

D. Tiller:
Yeah! Had a blast. Thanks for showing me your bow collection. Now you just got to get it all up on your wall and displayed and you will be all set.  ;D

Thanks for the dimensions on the bows. Though I think I want to start with the same designs you and Billy made of your bows. I think those are Modoc designs. Do you have the demensions on those? First Modoc and then the one that is the widest mid limb design. Just picked up some Ash and some hardrock maple over at Edensaw Hardwoods. Unfortunatly the were all out of the Yew wood. All they had available was some really knoty and ratty stuff. No good arrow making material there. They did have some Tigerwood planks available at a $1.50 square foot. Think it may be really dense stuff but dont know.

Say, how thick were those bows at the handle that you and Billy were shooting?

David T

D. Tiller:
Anyone? Help???

YewArcher:
Thes bows are typicaly 42-44" long. They can vary allot in width of limb. This is an Achumawi replica that is 39" long. It is 1.5" wide at mid limb 1" at the grip and 7/8" at the tips. I am rembering here as the bow is not right in front of me nor do I have the book that I replicated it from. This means that on this bow it is widest at mid limb. it then tapers to the grip and the tips. Tough bow to tiller.

I know its not exactly the modock but it is close and will hopefully give you at least a start:

They do not have pin nocks per say though. They are called bent tab nocks. They are the wood bent up so that string does not slip. Slight recurve as well.

I hope this will help a little. When i get home I will post some exact Modock diminsions if know one does between now and then.

SJM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version