Author Topic: Back in the saddle!  (Read 20854 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Back in the saddle!
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:34 pm »
I started with the Tru-Oil last night so it won't be long before her debut!

ps. Rick T, I haven't forgotten your bow sock and canes just haven't mailed um out yet.  ;D
No worries Pat.  No time to do any fun work right now anyway. ;)   
Traverse City, MI

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »
The suspense is killing us PAT...lol!!!!
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 01:30:18 am »
Pat, the more I look at that handle the more I want one just like it on all my bows.  Have you ever attempted to glue wood to the back of the bow for the handle insted of leather.  I realize that with crown, irregular backs on self bows it would probably be a royal pain to match up wood to wood like that.  But boy it would be pretty, but then who could bring themself to wrap it in leather.  Nice job.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2010, 07:40:08 pm »
Hedge, I like my bows to bend as close to the handle as I can. A rigid(wood) back overlay would probably pop off. I do like the look of a handle overlays.
  Well I have her all dressed up(cept for a few more coats of Tru-Oil) and ready for pics.  ;D  8)
  Stats...66"t/t, pulling 54#@28"(tillered out to 29"), backed with carp skins I got from Timo and bison horn tip overlay from Justin Snyder. Ancient Archer sent me some tanned moose(?) hide for the handle but I couldn't make it fit the bulbous handle neatly so the handle wrap is hemp cord saturated with Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone). I did use his leather for the floppy rests though. I made this bow with two floppy rests; one on either end of the handle so the bow can be flipped and shot either way. I got this idea from Chris Cade(Mechslasher). This is what he does with his short recurved bows as to not overstress either limb. Being that this bow has so much character; knots, twists and being that it was heated and clamped so many times trying to get a bow from the stave I chose, I opted to do the same with this bow...thus her name, "Flip Flop".
  So here she is...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2010, 07:44:23 pm »
...and a few more...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2010, 07:46:57 pm »
...and the money shots!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2010, 08:22:17 pm »
Sweeeeeet! looks great Pat. I like the name as well. I like that carp backing even better than snake skins. Looks cool 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »
  I'm with Jesse, I really like those Carp skins.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »
Nice job, Pat.  Thanks for letting us follow the progress.  A great tutorial.  Very pretty bow with excellent tiller.  I love your shop.  It is so much neater than mine!
Dan

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »
 That Bow looks great Pat....man dont get them Whiskers in dat String....man that chit Hurts...... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »
Good looking bow from tough piece of osage.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:44 am »
Thanks guys.
Eddie and Jesse, these are the first carp skins I've worked with. Tim did most of the prep work on the skins before he sent them to me. Thanks again Tim.
Dan, I enjoyed it as much as you did. This bow got my bow building ball rolling again. The shop is just how I left it a year ago so I knew where everything was.  ;D
  Mike the whiskers have been safe since I gave up the compound.  ;)
  Thanks hedge. This bow has been a great teacher.

Offline gmc

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2010, 12:17:50 am »
I have to agree with the carp skin, looks great. Very nice bend on that bow and finish work looks super. Looks like you've done your homework on this one.  ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2010, 12:39:20 am »
That is just awesome! Well done, Pat. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:39 am »
pat awesome work looks like an artist painted it ! curious about the prep for the carp skins