Author Topic: Back in the saddle!  (Read 21132 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Back in the saddle!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 12:39:11 am »
Osage Outlaw, If I had lots of osage here in NC would I be building bows out of wood like this!  ;D  Actually I would. ;)  To answer your question, in some places it is plentiful but not near me.
George,  :-[ You make me blush!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 12:56:15 am »
I added tip overlays and packed out the back of the bulbous handle with leather yesterday. Today I shaped the tips and handle and sanded the entire bow then put 50 arrows through her. She seems a bit sluggish but I pull 26" and she is set for 28"(pulled to 29") so that could make the difference. She shoots where I'm looking and holds 1" of reflex immediately after shooting and unbracing. ! 1/2" to 2" after she relaxes.
  I also coated the rawhide with a thin layer of TBIII to prevent moisture form soaking into the wood when I add the timber rattler skins soon. No pics today.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:49 am »
                                                     C/MON....... Pat...wheres the Pictures............ ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »
Hi Pat,

Way cool to come back to life after the wedding and find this thread.  Got one I am pulling out in my wreck of a shop and sure need to get all the wisdom I can pick up!

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:24 am »
Post some pics Rand and let's get her done!  ;D

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2010, 02:39:13 am »
Pat its on its way the buffalo hide hopefully u still need it!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:09 pm »
Took a few more pics today and shot about 25 more arrows but I still can't decide which end it up!  ;D She shoots as well with one tip up as the other. This bow is going to a lefty and I can't shoot lefty either.  She does have a little thump when shot but I believe it is the limb with the perpetual twist. Just a guess. I could take the tip width down a bit more too and that would help. She shoots straight and true. At 15 yards she was sending my 650+ gr tapered ash arrows right where I was looking. Still not sure of the final weight but around 50@26(my draw) so at 28" she ought to sweeter.
  One handle pic shows the way I pack out the back of a bulbous handle with show leather to fit the hand.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 10:22:54 pm »
Very nice, Pat. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Diligence

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 11:15:33 pm »
Looking good Pat - I like it!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline kerryb

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »
great looking work right there.
Milan Mo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 12:19:58 am »
She's coming along nicely and I'm pleased with her and myself. ;D    Being this is the first stave to bow build I have done in over a year and being that the recipient is an accomplished bowyer in his own right I chose a difficult stave to get me "back in the saddle".  ;)  It has been challenging from day one but I have loved every minute. I'll decide on the skins to dress her up with in the next few days. Ancient Archer has offered and has sent a piece of buffalo hide for the handle wrap so when it gets here I'll choose the skins to compliment the buffalo leather handle wrap.  8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2010, 01:27:57 am »
I took her to the NC State Championships near Hickory, NC last weekend and shot course "B". She shoots well but with a bit too much thump. I narrowed the tips a bit more and this weekend I added the skins. I'll let the skins and glue cure for a few days before I begin the Tru-Oil finish.
  Here is a tease shot... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 10:22:05 pm »
Looking good Pat, it's coming along nicely.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:46 am »
I started with the Tru-Oil last night so it won't be long before her debut!

ps. Rick T, I haven't forgotten your bow sock and canes just haven't mailed um out yet.  ;D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 01:52:06 am »
Pat, I love your handles.  They taper so gracefully into the limbs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:15:08 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw