Author Topic: short bows and sinew  (Read 2241 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
short bows and sinew
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:16 am »
I am working on a short (for me) bow, 50" long. I am planning on sinewing this bow. the stave is HHB. Right now the limbs are two inches wide and barely moving at all, it seems like once i get the limbs moving enough to sinew the bow there will be hardlly any wood left.

for HHB and sinew, should the limbs be narrower than 2"?

thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline PatM

Re: short bows and sinew
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:24:06 am »
I take a lesson learned by the Indians. A wide sinew backed bow should be a softer more readily flexed wood such as Juniper or Yew, a hardwood sinewed short bow should be narrow and deeper.
 Look at a West Coast bow and a Plains bow for examples.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:47:32 am »
1.25 or 1.5 wide?
45# at 27"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:43 am »
I probably wouldn't go over 1 1/2,you are right it will be really thin and easy to get a soft spot
that will fret. :) The tiller gets really critical when they get thin.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:50 am »
i just had one snap on me. It was a maple @ 48'' long. I should have left it alone, I had it tillered good and shooting well, but, I wanted more poundage, so I added another layer of sinew. Unfortunately, as the sinew dried and pulled tight, it snapped the last 5'' of the top limb! It was 1.75" wide. I wish I had read Pappy's response to this post before I built that one! Live and learn! next time I'll go narrow and thicker.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:29:07 am »
i re-drew the bow profile at 1.5 inches wide and cut on the lines so i am just a hair under 1.5".

Next question, how far do you guys tiller the bow before applying the sinew?
45# at 27"

Shadow Walker

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »
I don't know if this is the best way or not but it seems to work for me. I tiller as perfectly as I can get it at 10 pounds under my intended draw wieght and then apply the sinew. I let it set for three weeks and then retiller if needed. I've only done a few sinew backed shorties ( I like 48 inch. but I have a hop hornbeam 44 incher on the go right now).
So, I would wait for others to chime in with their advice, as I'm sure there are far more experienced bowyers on here than myself.
I know pappy does a lot of sinew work, maybe he can shed some brighter light.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:43 am »
I haven't done that many but the ones I have done I got them out to about 20 inches at about the weight I wanted and the tiller looking good,then sinew,wait a few weeks the finish the tiller
to weight and draw length I want. :) I usuall only do a couple of layers and haven't found it to add
that much weight. Maybe 6 or eight pounds. I think the more you add the less performance
advantage you get from it because of the added weight. :) Sinew will for sure help hold one together but if you have other Major problems,it ant the miracle cure. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good