Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Garlic
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »
Anyone growing garlic? I've been looking for some hardneck garlic to have for eating (preferably Chesnok Red) when it comes ready this coming fall.
Living a dream...

HatchA

Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »
My Gran used to grow her own veg and garlic was a staple of her garden.  I've yet to get around to doing something with my garden myself.  Her garlic was always amazing...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »

I was growing some, till the neighbor who takes care of my yard, had one of his guys, weed whack, and he whacked my garlic plants down, even though I had put stakes, around them to protect them........ :(  A Friend of mine in Plant City, makes an awesome garlic wine for cooking.  He takes about a pound or so of fresh garlic cloves, and peels them, and then puts them through a press, and takes all the fresh juice, and puts it in a white wine, and bottles it.  He told me to make sure I didn't break a bottle in my truck on the way home.  He said a Friend of his did, and it still smells like very strong garlic!!  :o :P

Wayne

butterbean

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »
  That's a purty good idea, stickbender. But I bet your hands would stink for a week.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:02 am »
  That's a purty good idea, stickbender. But I bet your hands would stink for a week.

Yeah, but he's completely safe from vampires then!  >:D

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:26 am »
dang...the vampires in my area have evolved immunity to garlic  >:(

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:21:47 pm »
Wash your hands with cold water, NOT hot water!!  Hot water effectively cooks the garlic oil onto your skin. 

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:14:25 am »
What's wrong with the smell of garlic on your hands?  ;D Just lets people know you can cook!
Living a dream...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:57:19 am »
I just started growing garlic in the last couple of years.  I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.  After all the grocers have tons of the stuff.   I am finding there is a variation in flavor though, and growing your own allows you to choose.  I don't have enough for a major trade though, sorry Tsalagi.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:04:18 am »
Hey!  I am in to seed saving and exchanging seeds.  I you want a bulb for planting I may be able to help in a couple of months.  I've got seeds now for green beans  ( Hickman's pole bean) and limas ( Rev Taylor's Many Colored limas).
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:16:23 am »
i'm in western VA, and I've grown Chesnook, Italian Music, and German extra hardy. i plant it in october, right now it's 2 feet tall and i'm removing the flower stalks so they don't take away from the bulbs.  i use it aas a border and it seems to keep a lot of stuff out of the rest of the garden. hardnecks seem to keep better for me. good luck!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
Thanks for offer, Ron, but our garden only really grows mints, thyme, and oregano successfully due to the Ponderosa pines here.  Our community farmer's market starts this Sunday and hopefully someone will have some hardnecks.
Living a dream...