Author Topic: Osage harvesting  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Osage harvesting
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:43 am »
I just got access to a large grove of osage but he kinda wants it gone soon. So I was wondering if Cutting it now would cause me to much problems? If I cut it now is their anything special I need to do to it? Thanks

Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Osage harvesting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:56:21 am »
I'm sure some more experienced osage cutter will chime in, but with my limited experience, the only big problem I see is dealing with now leafy branches, new shoots with thorns and probably more undergrowth at the logging sight.  I just cut a tree a couple weeks ago and wished I had done it a month earlier for the reasons listed above. 

Other than that, seal the ends really well.  Split it as soon as possible.  Bark and sapwood is much easier to remove while the tree is still green, so I would suggest removing them within a week or so.  If you remove the bark and sapwood, seal the back.  I seal the ends with several coats of wood glue and seal the back with several coats of shellac.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:14:51 am »
I cut it when I can,never had much trouble doing it in the spring or Summer,I usually don't
debark or take the sap wood off Osage,it's not a bad Idea,I just usually cut to much at a time to make that possible.I seal the ends and spray down with a good pesticide and leave.I usually split it into 1/4 if the log s aren't to big. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:51:16 am »
You probably already know this, but for others readin ....
Be selective - It's easy to start cuttin' without a plan. look for trees that have straight trunks,little or no "catfaces" from old large knots that you can see as circular interruptions in the "flow" of the bark,  bark that twists or "barber poles" little, as this will show twists in the grain itself.
I've read on here medium-sized "sucker" trees coming up from a trunk cut in the past are the best for straight, thick-ringed wood.

good luck - sharpen up that saw!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline gmc

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:06 pm »
No problem at all. Just let me know where/ when to show with a chainsaw.
Central Kentucky

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:42 am »
Gmc don't forget the wedges and sledge hammer. ;D
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
Sounds like there's a tree cuttin' party going on.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw