Author Topic: D bow handle?  (Read 7213 times)

Offline Kegan

D bow handle?
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:09 pm »
Okay, we all know that putting a wooden handle onto a D bow will wind up with the bow popping off (the green circles- the bow is brown and the red is the handle block).

But what if leather was used to connect a curved handle block to the bow? Thick leather like top grain would compress, and there would be no sharp edges or bends to get in the way of the bow. Of course, the less the handle bends already the less leather and curve that would be needed, but still. Second picutre, leather is blue.

What do you guys think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NTD

Re: D bow handle?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »
I think that's a heck of a neat idea.  I'd like to try it.  And if you try it let us know how it turns out.
Nate Danforth

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »
only one way to find out.
45# at 27"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
I have used laminated shoe leather for handle risers. On bendy handled bows it will bend along with the bow. Saturated with super glue the leather gets pretty hard but still bends. I have used shoe leather for tip overlays too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:28:49 am »
I used laminated cork coasters from Dollarama.  Easy to shape, and bends with the wood.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:39:40 am »
I think its an awesome idea.  Even gave me an idea to use only thick leather.
Westminster, MD

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:46:44 am »
I used laminated cork coasters from Dollarama.  Easy to shape, and bends with the wood.
Necessity IS the mother of invention.
Love the idea.
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:54:12 am »
that's how  I've  been doing it,contact cement the leather together, then shape it on the belt sander before attaching to the bow, then cover with lace on leather or wrap in hemp cord and superglue soak it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
The thing with this handle is the wood will add a little extra weight, rather than a solid leather handle which would be much lighter. I've done all leather in the past and occasionally it threw me as to how light the bow was.

bowkee

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:50 am »
Hey Kegan I used 1/8 in laminated leather with a Wood lam under that on a D and seemed to work fine.
That Idea looks cool
but The type of glue would make a big difference keeping that yoke from popping out of that egg ;D ???

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »
Thanks for the input Phillip, but I never claimed to have much "paint" skills ;D

woody

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »
You can laminate strips of cork using wood glue or use one thick piece.  If you go this route, you can even make dished-out handles, shooting rests, etc.  If you screw up or end up with something you don't like, you can sand it off and start over.  it is very durable afer a few coats of poly.  It is difficult, however, to get it to blend easily into the wood.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »
You can laminate strips of cork using wood glue or use one thick piece.  If you go this route, you can even make dished-out handles, shooting rests, etc.  If you screw up or end up with something you don't like, you can sand it off and start over.  it is very durable afer a few coats of poly.  It is difficult, however, to get it to blend easily into the wood.

I've done this a good bit with leather on handles that weren't deep enough even on stiff handled flatbows. The trouble is that at the heavier draw weights I shoot, that little lack of mass turns into a big pain in the rear on trying to hold the bow steady.

bowkee

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 03:24:12 am »
Graphics look good too :)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 09:14:29 am »
I would never have thought to use  leather as a middle laminate--and I've tried some pretty far-out stuff. How much longer than the block will you make the leather?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.