Author Topic: TN Classic bow, finished (My firstest ever bow!)  (Read 6305 times)

Offline robtattoo

TN Classic bow, finished (My firstest ever bow!)
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:12:18 pm »
Here's what I got up to at this years Tennessee Classic.
I bought the blank from David Knight www.primalneedarchery.com (hence the name) on Friday at the the Classic. The Bamboo backed Ipe blank came glued up with no tips, totally square & only floor tillered. This takes a huge chunk of the complicated stuff out of the equasion for beginners like me! Over the course of the weekend, well, Friday & Saturday, I had to try & beat the flooding home on Sunday morning, with the help of David, Alex Roché (Bear), Wade, Pat B & others I had a shootable bow. Unfinished, but shootable. The bow was tillered to 66#@32" to give me a safe margin of error for my 30" draw. At 30" it's bang-on 60#

Once I got home & dried out, I applied a coat of Medium Brown leather dye to the bamboo & overdyed the tips & riser with black. I've applied 11 layers of Tru-Oil to give a ridiculously glossy fnish! The riser is wrapped inflat leather thonging dyed various, random shades of brown & treated with neetsfoot oil. The arrow rest is made from one of the tips from the little spike buck I shot last year.A muzzleloader kill, but my first ever whitetail buck!

Hope you like the pics as much as I'm enjoying the bow!

Glossy!

Top tip....

Bottom tip....

Drawn to 30" (That's a 32-1/2" arrow!)

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: TN Classic bow, finished (My firstest ever bow!)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:03:52 pm »
Looks absobloodlylutely fantastic Rob...man you got that thing drawn back there..... >:D....was a blast making Bows with You ...and spending time getting to know You....See You next time...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »
Looks absobloodlylutely fantastic Rob...man you got that thing drawn back there..... >:D....was a blast making Bows with You ...and spending time getting to know You....See You next time...

Great meeting you too Mike! Reeeaaally looking forward to next year. Maybe next year I'll get to shoot a round (If I can stay outta the mason jars long enough  >:D)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »
Tennesse has that effect on Me too........ >:D........I don't drink all Year Long...I save it up for King Ron's Spring Water.....and man it's worth the Wait too....... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:40:24 pm »
You really did a great job finishing that bow.  Still hoping to be able to finish my David K. bow!  I like the way you used the dye on the bamboo and the riser looks great.  Are you going to hunt with it?  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline HFD60

• HFD60'S PHOTO'S
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
The bow looks great Rob...it was great meeting you and getting to know you....dont forget about september, maybe we can draw some blood with that new bow >:D
Rich Bistline
Harrisburg, PA

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »
Thanks Joe. I'm certainly going to try & hunt with it! Spring skwerl season is open, so I may even get out this weekend  >:D

What I'd really like to do, is sit in the same stand where Alex (Bear) took his first selfbow deer with 'Voodoo Child' & recreate the event!

Offline Bear

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:19:17 pm »
Come September you've got dibs on that stand. Wouldn't it be cool if we got consecutive first homemade kills on that tree?! Maybe we could make a tradition of homemade only on that tree. It would motivate us to keep at it, and it is certainly well suited.

Love the gloss. And your handle is fantastic.

BTW; Being the humble and refined English gent he is, Rob isn't mentioning the fact that this bow is breaking the 200 fps barrier... with over 11 gpp!!!  :o
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 11:18:59 pm »
Rob you did a great job on that one.. It was a pleasure meeting you and If you get a kill with it be sure to post a pic..

BTW; Being the humble and refined English gent he is, Rob isn't mentioning the fact that this bow is breaking the 200 fps barrier... with over 11 gpp!!!

Yes you forgot to mention that part.. ;)   

Offline tdog

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:03 pm »
Awesome looking bow Rob. I am new at this bow building thing, but I really want to make a BBI. I like those more than just about any combo that I've seen. You did a great job.

Mark
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:59 pm »
Great looking bow. Thanks for letting me shoot it as well. It was fast thats for sure. :)  Both the top and bottom tips are tip top ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:33:58 pm »
Yes you forgot to mention that part.. ;)   

Thank for all your help with it David, sorry if I wore you out over the weekend!

I'm in the process of building some 600gn arrows, then I'm going for a play wth a friend's chrono. I don't want to make any claim I can't back up with evidence!

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:42 pm »
good job looks great .
bryan irwin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »
Rob, you brought that baby to her full potential! Very well done.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:13:38 am »
WoW!

Nice job.  I like it.

JohnIndian Mound, TN
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee