Author Topic: Haha so now what do I do?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Haha so now what do I do?
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
Built a red oak short bow...48" plank, spliced in a handle and then added 10" sayahs (brought total length, unbraced, to 56").  Was hoping that my tendency with red oak would shine through and I'd take on about 3 days worth of set which would help with the bow's form.  However, when I went to bend it a fracture popped up in my handle.  The limbs were intact, so I backed it with bamboo.

Bamboo is about 3/16" thick at the crown.  I sanded the red oak down to where we're looking at 1/4"~3/16" X 1.5" through the working portion of the limbs.

Problem?  I can lock the handle down in the vice and stand on my sayahs and the thing doesn't bend enough to even brace.  That's 158lbs...I was shooting for 45~50lbs at full draw lol.  I'm proud of my sayah splices, but I'm down to so little material I don't know where to take off at.  I'm thinking if I make the limbs much narrower they'll try to twist when drawn.  I think the bow is lost...it'll be better for me to try and pry the bamboo off than try to keep going with this bow, but this will be the second time I've "recovered" this backing.

Other opinions would be appreciated.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Haha so now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »
You should've sanders or planed the Bamboo down to about 1/8 to 3/32 ....you will never remove enough wood to compensate for the Boo....I dont think even side tillering would be enough....jmo....when I Boo Back...I like to reduce the thickness down so the edge is almost sharp....that way you have thinned it as much as possible....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:23 pm »
Normally, that's what I do...:)...actually I don't do it, but I like David knight do it and that's what he does lol.  I tried setting up my own this time and the dimensions weren't right.  If I'd taken the full thickness to where I'd like it the piece would have only been 7/8" wide.  I'll be getting the rest of my bamboo from Kinight.

I'm going to side tiller...I have no other use for any of the lumber so if it fails, it's already failed.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:43:39 pm »
Mak....another thing I have done.with success....I have thinned the Boo...then steam it...then while it is still soft...press it to flatten some of the arc out of it....then sand it down more....by flattening it...you will gain width....and lose height...a win...win for you...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:28:30 pm »
Any chance of a pic?  Just curious how it all goes together.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.