Author Topic: Red Elm heat bending?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline J05H

Red Elm heat bending?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
     I am going today to pick up a red elm stave from a friend of mine.  I was wondering what is the best way to induce some reflex in red elm? Dry heat or steam?
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Red Elm heat bending?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »
Josh....is it a seasoned stave ?....I have had bad luck using dry heat on Elm in the past....so I always boil the Tips now when I want reflex....or steam if its still green.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »
If your stave is green,you can build a simple form to shape the reflex your wanting,then,rough out your bow to the floor tiller stage,then clamp it to the form.Leave it on the form a month,then remove,then put it in a warm dry place for a few weeks.Weigh it on a digital scale ,then repeat every couple of days until the weight stabilizes.When it has reached equilibrium,you can finish tillering.A drying box will speed the process up even more.I have built elm bows that hold reflex,just 2 months after felling the tree,and that's without a drying box. If your stave is already dry,you could try dry  heat for your reflex.I've had good success with it,but use oil (vegg.oil or bacon drippings)on the area to heat.If you are going for recurved tips,then steam or boil,just be sure to put a good coat of shellac on the area  intended to heat.One more thing ,if the stave is dry and tillered to brace height,you can clamp it down on the same simple form previously mentioned,then heat treat the limbs in reflex. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:07:00 pm »
It is over 12 years seasoned.  I think I'll try the dry heat with veg' oil.  One other thing, should I use the sapwood or take it down to the heart wood?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
I would not go down to Heartwood....It's a Whitewood...the first growth under the Bark is as good as any...unless it was Violated
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:55 pm »
Elm is ring porous.  A bit harder to follow a ring than Osage or BL but it can be done.  I have built a few Elm bows that were strictly heartwood only and they worked quite well but generally I will use the first ring under the bark
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline J05H

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:10:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice but it turns out it was osage. The guy was only about 60% sure it was elm.  Turns out he was wrong. Cleanest and straightest piece of osage I've seen.