Author Topic: heat bending for vine maple  (Read 1282 times)

Offline d frana

heat bending for vine maple
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:04:28 am »
I've had a vine maple stave I picked up at Mojam sitting around for two years and it's time to turn it into a bow.  It has quite a bit of deflex and I want  to get reflex in the limbs.   I've had good luck using my heat gun and form for osage and want to know if vine maple responds good to heat as well.  I'm sure the stave is dry by now.  Also, has anyone had experience with heat treating vine maple to enhance performance?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: heat bending for vine maple
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:04:28 am »
I've only made one V.M. bow, and I used dry heat to straighten it and even out the reflex.  I believe that Gordon (The Vine Maple expert) also heat treats the bellies of his V.M. bows with a heat gun.
Traverse City, MI

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:31:09 pm »
i've successfully reflexed VM tips by steaming for 45 min- the tips were about at finished dimentions when i did it. I cooled them for 15 min clamped then let them sit a couple days and they look great.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »
Shellac it...and steam it...will bend almost as easy as any other Wood when done this way....I don't like dry Heat on Vine Maple...maybe others like Gordon will chime in...I have only made 5 Bows from VM...and I used Steam on all but the First...and I broke it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome