Author Topic: huntin' gear for tomorrow  (Read 3921 times)

Offline sailordad

huntin' gear for tomorrow
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »
well this is what i wait so patiently for every year

SPRING TURKEY HUNTING,and what makes it even more fun is bowhunting.
i love hunting turkeys,just ask anyone that realy knows me.i just love it,you might say im fanatical.
now i enjoy gun hunting them,but my passion is chasing turkeys with bow in hand.
i have done it for several years with my wheelie bow,and just cant get enough of it.

well this year is gonns be one of the best ever for bowhunting turkeys.
i have primitive gear to use,for the most part.
the bow was gifted to me from Pappy.when he gave it to me i told him i would use it for turkey.
as i like to keep my word,this is the bow of choice this spring.
the bow pulls 55# @ 26",osage orange and i believe its 66"ttt.
the bow was named "cockeyed"  8)

the arrows for this bow are hand made by me,all except the woodsman 3 blade broad heads.
only reason i have the wodsman is that stone is illegal here in Mn.
the shafts are some kind of cane i got in a trade quit some time back.
flethed with turkey feathers that i culled from a roadkill bird (i think,i have so many in bags hard to remember which are which).
they are held on with deer backstrap sinew that Pappy also gifted me with.

these arrows fly nice,straight,quiet,and spin true and as good as my store bought carbon shafts.
i spent along time straightening these shafts.i wanted them as straight as i possobly could get them.
i think i did a great job on them.  ;D

the one real non primitive part of my gear is the quiver. :'(
i still dont have a primitive quiver.so i will be carrying my arrows in the quiver off of my wheelie bow  :-[
realy want a plains style,need to work on getting one.

any how i have been doing some heavy scouting,even though i have hunted this land for years.
all my scouting has been non-intrusive,from the road with field glasses only.
we have been seeing alot of birds in one are at the same time night after night.
so last night the wife and i went and stuck a blind up very close(less than 1/4 mile away)to that area.
i know its seems far,but the turkey habitualy come out of the woods in this spot in the a.m.
tonight we drove past there and we seen nice long beard in full straight with four hens around him.
he wasnt in the area we put the blind,but the same are e have seen them for weeks on end in the evenings.
so tomorrow i will set blind #2 up in that area for saturday when the wife hunts with me.
one nice thing this year is the land owner didnt have a lot of hunters on the land before i get to hunt,and only one shaot has been fired in 6 weeks of hunting so far.
this could be the year the wife and i double up with bows,or not.either way i love bowhunting ground buzzards.

any how heres a few pics of my gear and one of the arrows accuracy.

this bow smokes arrows,thanks again Pappy and wish me luck.i hope i can make meat with it

these are my hand made arrows.some sort of cane,turkey 3 fletch,deer sinew,woodsman 3 blades.
the red mark just indicates which side is cock side.easier to see like this in a blind

this is "Henny Penny" my homemade 3d target.
these arrows were shot from about 15 yds.not from this bow but from a hick i am finishing up.

sorry for being so long winded,but i am excited.
cause its like i said

I LOVE BOWHUNTING GROUND BUZZARDS

thanks for looking and wish the wife and i luck this weekend

peace,
                                                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: huntin' gear for tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:26:40 pm »
 Good luck, Tim. Go get 'em. Those Woodsman's will punch a whole.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
Best of luck to you and your wife.  Have fun!!!!!!!!

Today was our last day and now your's is just beginning!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Otis

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:05:38 am »
Tim, good looking equipment. If Pappy gave you the bow that is good mojo. He gave me one last spring, Second Chance, and I killed a deer with it in the fall.  :)  Pappy, GregB, and BigA helped me make on last fall but I didn't get it sealed and practiced with it to hunt our last deer season. Can't wait to get some blood on it. Our turkey season is over here in IN. So, good luck to you and your wife. Shoot straight.
                                                                                                 David

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:48 am »
Good looking set up Tim, That bow has been blooded in battle all ready ,just not Turkey.Looks like you are shooting it good also. Hope you have some good luck and pictures of course.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:47:32 am »
cool, cool, nothing wrong with using that quiver, good luck to you and your wife.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:02 am »
Cool stuff, Tim. Did the repaired turkey call make it to you?
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »
how'd you make that target?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:25 am »
how'd you make that target?

The Target is a Decoy......... ::)

Tim...have you ever Hunted with the Wenzel Woodsman's?? I have...and I really like them myself...although lasts years Monster...I took with a Montec G5....not quite as primitive as I would have liked...but way efficient..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 01:13:21 am »
well i was in the woods by 4:30 am today
the gobbles started at about 5:15 am,non stop until about 7:30 or so,then they faded off and i hadent seen a bird.
well i poured my self another cup of coffee from the thermos.
i heard a real light clucking coming from my left,i looked and there was a brood hen and 10 jakes.
one had about a 5" beard.they looked at my decoy and clucked a bit but never came in range.
a little later a nice long beard came out,same area that the jakes came from.this was 160 yds away.
he was in feeding mode and didnt come in range either.
well i sat there for awhile and when i knew everything was clear i moved my blind over to that are for tomorrow morning.
i dont have a problem shooting jakes with my bow,and neither does the wife.
my moto is "if its in bow range,and its got a red head.its dead"

well i wlaked back to the truck.drove over to the south meadow wheer i have been told by the land owner,and have seen it myself,alot of birds in the afternoon.
i set blind #2 up there and spent the rest of the day untill 7:30 pm.
well at about 1 o'clock i decided since i had been sitting a couple hours and hadnt heard or seen anything here as of yet,i would go do some scouting.
i climbed out of my blind and took 1 step,when i noticed thru the tall grass and weeds that there was a tom in full strut witha jake in tow.
they were coming my way ,and doing it fast.
so i climbed back into my blind and got ready.
after about 1 minute they closed the 250 yds.and the boss tom was coming right up to my decoy.
only problem was he was doing it in semi circle.keeping just out of my comfortable shooting range.
he walked straight towards the blind,but was keeping my strutting tom decoy between him and the blind.
my decoy was at 15 yds and he was right behind it.i drew back and let down as i didnt have a clear shot past the decoy.
he looked towards the bling,didnt like something he saw and started to walk away quickly and putting.
now hes walking away from me at a slight angle,i draw back and take aim but had to rush my shot as he is starting to move quickly.
i loose the arrow and watch as it just clears the bottom of his breast and hits the dandelions.this makes him spooky and hes gone.
well i go recover my arrow and a feather he dropped for me  ;)
well i placed the feather in my blind for good mo jo for tomorrow.

unfortunatly i wont be able to take the stick tomorrow.
the wife will be with and i will be using my wheelie bow just in case i need to take a long shot to stop a bird she sticks(her request).
but i will be using it yet this season again,theres always after work and next friday(if we dont tag out this weekend)then the wife will hunt with me again next week end.

i will say it was quit the rush to be drawing back on a big( and i mean big for our area)ol' tom with a primative bow and arrows. 8)
i cant wait to hunt with it again,most fun ive had since my first time chasing them with a modern bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:15 pm »
lots of fun with the bow.Me and the boy Hunter-trapper went out the first Sat of Penna. season.Hiked back in Friday night and woke up with some birds gobbling close.Long story short-worked those birds 3 times and had 1 at 35yds but that ain,t close enough for me.I was carrying my recurve and HT had his elm longbow.We had fun though-sounds your having a BLAST.Good luck and have a great day-Lloyd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:09 am »
Sounds very eventful hunt,got to love that.Good luck on the rest of the week.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »
Good luck Tim. You might think about moving you'r decoy in closer to the blind. I put mine about 5 yards from the blind, It's seems if the birds come in and hang up a little there still close enough for a shot. Just a thought  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !