Author Topic: Not sinew backing...but...  (Read 5303 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Not sinew backing...but...
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:55:52 pm »
what?  I've got some back sinew coming in that I can use for one project...but considering the amount I need for that project, I don't want to use it on my piddly time-wasters. I like bamboo backings and I'm int he middle of a horsebow that's boo-backed and working on decently, but next I want to make one a bit more aggressive.  My brother showed me a bit of info on hornbows sans the horn...bamboo was used instead.  It's intriguing and I want to make one...but then I'm back to not wanting to waste my sinew on piddly projects when I have a REAL Turkish bow to make.

I was curious what would be thought of trying to get the same general look with bamboo on both sides?  My mind has48" 1/8" strips back and (tempered) belly with a 1/8" ash or maple core, with 10" sayahs at 35~40*.  Little to no induced reflex.  I'm wanting 45~50lbs at 28".

Opinions?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Kegan

Re: Not sinew backing...but...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:27 pm »
I've seen several bows made like that before. They are supposed to perform better than sinew and horn styles at normal weights because the tempered boo is so much lighter than sinew and horn.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
That's nice to know.

I'm also curious about how crucial proper grain is when the back and belly are bamboo?  I can get some edge-grained hickory, but I have no easy options for 1/8" slats with good grain.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »
If both back and belly are going to be Tapered Bamboo....the Grain Orientation should have little effect on the Bow.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:02 pm »
If both back and belly are going to be Tapered Bamboo....the Grain Orientation should have little effect on the Bow.....JMO

Especially if the wood is hickory.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »
Do you guys think edge-grain hickory would be suitable for this project?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:44:34 pm »
What about boo belly, wood core and sinew back? Hornbow style, but replacing the horn with bamboo? I made one and it worked well.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:40 pm »
...but then I'm back to not wanting to waste my sinew on piddly projects when I have a REAL Turkish bow to make.

:)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:49:10 pm »
I can certainly see nothing wrong with either setup....and edged grain is as strong as you will get....as long as there is no abundance of runoff.....James Parksler is The Man....when it comes to these Bows....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:09 pm »
I just emailed hiim.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:22:03 pm »
thats not a piddly project and wouldn't you have to be a Turk in Turkey to make a REAL Turkish hornbow? ;D Actually I missread your post ???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »
It's a cheaper, less time consuming project than my Turk bow :)  I'm going to have some good money and a lot of time invested in it.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:21:24 am »
for a single core of hickory ,i would go for 5/16 + or -  a little,,that is at the center of the core,tapering to 1/8 at the tips.. make the boo  1/8 to 3/16 throughout their length,,keep the bow around 1 1/4 at the widest  off the fades to keep string follow and set down... a light to medium temper on the belly will do ,,over temper the belly and the # can triple,,if it does- scrape the belly to lower # and tiller..post pics of what you have already built and building ......good luck... :) james

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »
That sounds like it will be a strong bow with the core that thick?

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
I think much the same...but I've not used hickory for much.  Like I said, I'm really wanting to keep the draw kind of low...55lbs tops.  A stronger bow I would end up just selling and I'd like to make a bow for me for once lol.