Author Topic: Osage Tiller Advise Updated Pic  (Read 8386 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Osage Tiller Advise
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 06:30:05 pm »
I think you are doing fine. Work mid limb on as needed for my draw length. I'd be using a scraper-like tool now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bigcountry

Re: Osage Tiller Advise
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:41:31 pm »
Dad gone guys, I have removed a bunch of material from the outer third, and she still won't loosen up.

Here she is at 24" and 50lbs.  So I have 4" to play with.  I am taking her slow as molassas now.

Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Tiller Advise Updated Pic
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 12:38:24 am »
Still looks stiff in the outer limbs as you said. With the inner limbs bending more getting the outers to bend is slow but go slow! they will give eventually. Keep them well exercised too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 12:52:03 am »
Thanks Pat, I am putting her down tonight.  I am trying only to tiller 1/2 hour at a time.  Might take me until Christmas. ;D

Prettiest piece of osage I ever had from Mike M.  Don't want to do something stupid.

Thanks again.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 01:20:56 am »
Ok, found time to work on her again.  Last week I rawhide backed with some deer hide.  The wood had these little tiny holes in the back that worried me.  Barely see em. 

Goodness, I feel like the outer limbs are never going to loosen.  Here she is at 25" and 55lbs.  I only have like 3-4 left to get her right.  I wanted her finished at 55-60lbs.   

Outer limbs still stiff.  Starting to side tiller to get some mass out of the outer limbs.  My tiller gizmo says I have weak spots doing most bending about 3" out of the fades.  I am hoping that will loosen up as I finish up the outer thirds.

Westminster, MD

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 02:22:34 am »
Outer limbs are starting to come around now. One thing that I have learned over many bows is not to pull the bow any further than you need to see a problem - that helps cut down on set.
Gordon

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
Outer limbs are starting to come around now. One thing that I have learned over many bows is not to pull the bow any further than you need to see a problem - that helps cut down on set.

Gordon, I am thinking of sweating this bow (keeping it strung for a few hours)  This is where I have ruined a bunch of bows.  I get aggravated when things stay stiff and take off a bunch and then after shooting in, I might get a weak spot.

I never sweated a bow before, and never really liked the idea of keeping one strung for hours.  You ever do it?
Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:42 am »
Sometimes,I do when I am getting really close towhere I want to be.I will string and unstring,Draw it a little,shoot it some at a short draw and leave it strung for an hour or so.Especially if it has been slow about coming around. Yours is looking good.Don't get in a hurry now. :)
   Pappy :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
Lookin' good, Big. When I believe the limbs are getting a bit thin and not coming around then I slowly start to narrow them until they come around. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 11:57:03 am »
Sometimes,I do when I am getting really close towhere I want to be.I will string and unstring,Draw it a little,shoot it some at a short draw and leave it strung for an hour or so.Especially if it has been slow about coming around. Yours is looking good.Don't get in a hurry now. :)
   Pappy :)

I think I am going to take this advise.  And continue to narrow outer limbs. I hate handshock and I figured narrower, the less. 

Thanks Pappy and George.  I was wondering if it would be bad to shoot some short drawn shots.  A little confidence goes far.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »
Well with summer and all, I haven't been bow building as much, but want to get this one done.  Here she is at 28" and about 57lbs.  I am thinking to stick a fork in it.  I have one inch to go and wanting 55lbs - 58lbs. 

So before I go reducing limbs, Any suggestions?  Thinking i need to remove some material on the right fade and get it bending some there.

Westminster, MD

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
This is a straight profile bow right?  If you were to scrape anywhere I would maybe do a few scrapes mid limb.  Also I find that once I'm an inch from final draw I start sanding the bow.  I usually settle right at target weight at target draw when I do that.  If I try tiller to target draw length I'm usually shy of intended weight once it's sanded up.  Just my 2 cents but consider the source ;) ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline sander

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 01:02:13 am »
Only built one I would say remove right limb near the third verticle tape line.  You will
lose some weight as you shoot it in and as said when you sand heavily.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 02:45:15 am »
Ya, Ya,,she's doen and very nice work. It's a challenge when you have one limb a tad reflexed and the other not. You did well. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:38:20 pm »
Ya, Ya,,she's doen and very nice work. It's a challenge when you have one limb a tad reflexed and the other not. You did well. Jawge

George, thinking of giving the last 8" of the right (top limb) a bit of sanding.  Top limb is 1.5" longer so thinking it should be showing more bend?  What would you recommend.

Thanks all to the comments.  I know I have bugged you guys for months.  This bow build is taking forever.
Westminster, MD