Author Topic: Most beautiful failure  (Read 3444 times)

blackhawk

Re: Most beautiful failure
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:21 am »
No problemo.....if you have more locust ready to go stick with it....its a bowyers classroom and will tell you what you did wrong if you do fail(like this one here)... plus when you do get locust right it makes a mean bow...its still in my top five favorite woods for sure(maybe #3?)...

I know for a fact you can get a stiff handled 59" locust bow drawing those stats....but if I was to attempt that I would do three things different with it....number one should be the wood its self chosen...since were gonna be asking a lot from the wood I would find a good clean dense piece as I've found locust can vary by quite a bit...number two you should've gone at least no less wide than 2",and there wood be a couple different front view tapers you could choose from there,like a molly,or run that width till mid limb then taper...and number three since your gonna be fighting stacking angles with the string for those stats you need to get your bend going right off the fade more next time,but not too much and take visible set there...its a delicate fine line that must be perfectly executed in design AND tiller,but those stats can be done with locust...OR if your not feeling frisky and pushing the limits just go a lil longer and wider and you'd be fine that way too ;)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Most beautiful failure
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:21 am »
Great advise man.  I'll get going on more soon.  I am working on another bendy handled locust bow for the trade.  It's  64" ttt and will be pulling longer than 26"

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  I'll get it nipped on the next one ;)