Author Topic: Serviceberries (aka Juneberries, etc.)  (Read 5017 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Serviceberries (aka Juneberries, etc.)
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:31 pm »
I had never tried serviceberries until this year. I noticed two trees behind my office were overloaded with berries and picked a few and tried them.

I now have a new favorite berry.

I have been picking bowlfuls of them for about a week and a half and i can't get enough. My family has been eating them fresh, baked in cupcakes and breads, inpancakes and more. I'll have to try making jam or syrup with them as well. I haven't found anything that these berries don't do well yet. I'm just kinda bummed that in a few days the berries will be gone.

Figuring the nice blooms and good fall color (not to mention the wood for arrows and bows) I think this is now my favorite tree. I am going to plant a bunch of them in my yard this fall so hopefully only a couple years til I can start picking them at home. Until then I'll just pick them from the trees at work.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Serviceberries (aka Juneberries, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
Cool!  I have never tried them before... I wonder if they grow around here...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:30 pm »
You'll have to buy an RV and start travelling north to ride the ripening wave.  They peak here around the end of July/early August.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:29:16 pm »
Cool!  I have never tried them before... I wonder if they grow around here...  :)

They grow in zones 4-8, so you should be good. You might be able to find some in the woods near you since they are native.

You'll have to buy an RV and start travelling north to ride the ripening wave.  They peak here around the end of July/early August.

I'd love to but i don't think LOML would accept picking berries as a valid reason to spend the money on a RV, lose my job, etc.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »
I love those serviceberries, one of my favorites. They're ripe here now, I ate a bunch this morning.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »
We just planted a Saskatoon Serviceberry bush in our yard. Just had the first one today. Yum!!!
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:44:26 pm »
I grew up with these as a kid in North Dakota.  We just thought we must have lived righteous and good lives because they grew in every coulee and draw nearby.  Plus in the winter there were always rabbits in the "juneberry bushes"!  Yup, if only I had known I could make bows and arrows from those selfsame shrubs!  *sigh* Life woulda been perfect.

For those of you that have never had juneberry, service berry, sarvis berry, saskatoons, or Amelanchier alnifolia , they are much like a blueberry that grows in large bunches on shrubs/trees.  They are pitless, unlike their cousin, the chokecherry, but will still stain your teeth/clothes. 

My favorite way of eating these little bits of blue heaven is in a bowl with a little heavy cream. 

We have them in the Black Hills, but they only grow a foot tall, have just a half dozen leaves and only every 5th plant has a berry on it and they often don't ripen.  Major bummer, man.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:12:04 am »
Been eating those since I was a kid, we used to call them "Wild Pears" when we were young.  They are great eating but do have a tendency to make you go....if you know what I mean
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com