Author Topic: Found Ouy What Happens  (Read 2350 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Found Ouy What Happens
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:11:18 am »
   I found what happens when you use a piece of bamboo that is too thick for backing. I tried to plane it with my power hand planer. Don' do that  :-[ Anyway I thought I would never get it tillered. It would stay flat in the mid section of the limb, and after each scraping. I finally said heck with it and put it on the belt sander. When I put it back on the tiller, it was bending nicely. The wood was as thick as the boo in that place :o It is 44# at 26"I got too dark to shoot it so I really don't know how it shoots.Feels good when ya draw it, until the last few inches then it feels a little spongy I started sanding to get the tool marks out, and forgot to take pics Ill try to get them tonight.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Found Ouy What Happens
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »
 I looked at it closer today after work and thought I was seeing a hinge on the right. So I started taking wood off to correct. What I didn't notice was it had reflex in the limb  :-[ and took some more off. looked and took more off.ect. ect. I took a pic of it and studied it. I guess I'm just a slow person, or should have asked for y'all help. I think I have it where it needs to be. I lost alot of draw weight. 34# @ 26" the mesurments are1.5" at fades to 12" then tappering to 1/2" at tips 63" n2n with 3" of set grrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry for waisting y'alls time with this one :-[
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:56:38 pm »
hillbilly,
      What waste of time? I have never done bamboo so dont know squat about it, but I do know about learnin the hard way in my bow building indeavors.....It's a bow, didn't break, and it shoots arrows and learned something to boot. Start the next one and have some fun.....I usually got to duck & cover from my goof's  ;D
Rich

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:50 am »
The bow is fine, but the shadow of that right limb could do to come up a bit  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.