Author Topic: Type of blind or not...  (Read 4182 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Type of blind or not...
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:55 pm »
I have hunted from a tree stand for several years after starting my hunting from "ground blinds" fashioned from what material was found in the woods. The first "tree stands" were boards nailed or wedged between a forked tree or a sort of tree house made from boards and nails.. Sorry, I started remembering some old times. I have committed to hunt this entire year with only a bow. I usually break over and use my flintlock at some point, but fighting it this year.

The question is, what type of ground blinds or concealment blinds, if any do you use?  I feel much more comfortable on the ground with a self bow or recurve.

Most camo blinds of the pop-up design are not large enough for a longbow, however I really like the pop-up blinds.

Any suggestions or methods you guys are using would be appreciated. It doesn't matter if it is made from wood, canvass, netting or whatever.

I will add that the greatest hunt would be stalking and taking your game, but that is not always the best case scenario. I plan on both turkey and deer hunting....Thanks
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Dave 55

Re: Type of blind or not...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:04:52 am »
There are some pop up blinds that will handle 64 inch bows and possible alittle longer,I kind of like the brushed in ones that you through together,I always wonder whats goin on behind me when Im in a pop up. :)
Now is the good old days

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:21:44 am »
personaly i like and own and use 2 double bull blinds
a matrix,and a dark horse
the standard models will accomodate a 66" or shorter bow fairly well
they do make them in what they call "recurve models",one of the two creaters is a trad bowhunter the other a wheelie
there are other brands that make them even taller for bowhunting reasons
but bigger also means bulkier and heavier when it comes to transporting them around too

as far as seeing whats going on behind you in them,not a problem just leave a window jaut barely open and you can see it all
atleast with a good blind made for bowhunting
my matrix has a 360* mesh window,my other has 180* on the front and 4 port wondows out the back
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:22 pm »
I use natural material ground blinds. 1700's longhunter atire and longbow or flintlock. I may not get as much game as a lot of guys but I just love the experience.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:49 pm »
    I totally hunt off the groung with selfbows.And have for the last 8 years.20 Years ago I made a ghillie AND HAVE NEVER STOPED USEING IT.A ghillie and hunt the wind as far as I'm concered you can;t go wrong.I like to be mobile if the wind changes so do I.Or if I'm gobbler hunting and have to move I do.Not that pop ups don't work  but your stuck where your at.It's a hassle to move.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:47:22 pm »
crooketarrow

my double bulls can be put up in less than 10 seconds,and down that fast too.
i use several on  the private land that i hunt.
i put them in know travel areas and just leave them.
so like if you i need to move,i do.i just go walk to the next blind
i used to only have one and moved it all the time,no big deal.like i said,10 seconds to take down,maybe 1 minute total to get it packed awy and start walking
i can and have sat thru sever thunderstorms,i dont get wet and it stays put when anchored
the wife sat thru 3 storms with me last year,her first time in it when a storm hit.
i told hew dont worry were fine,hour and half later when it quit raining i killed a 19 lb tom,13 yds from my blind

when i do use it for the occasional deer hunt(not much into that)i donr even worry about wind
i keep earth scent wafers in my blind pack,ive had deer as close as 2 yds and they just hung out.didnt even know i was there
i had a little spike buck stay for hours one day,i didnt even shoot him either

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:29:40 pm »
   I make my blinds from Cabbage Palm fronds. I always carry pruning clippers with me. If a bird gobbles, it only takes a second to cut enough and stick in the ground to hide behind.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
if i lived down there i would too Eddie
we dont have them luxuries up here
most years we dont have a whole lot of green around for turkey hunting

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »
Crooketarrow

I wouldn't mind a look at your ghillie; I have been thinking about one for a while. Do you have any pictures?

Red Dwarf

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23:41 am »
 Tim, I had just the opposite problem when I hunted in Penn in the Spring. All my camo was green and there was none.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:16 am »
i got a ghillie. they are awsome but that jute gets REALLY ANOYING.  its hot and itchy.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 01:03:40 pm »
I love climbing up into blowdowns, or hiding in a "fortified" root hole from one. might use a homemade ghillie this fall, tho.Need to get off my butt and make one. Taking too much stuff in the woods (for deer anyway) kinda ruins it for me. If I ever learn to call good enough, I'd use a double bull for turkey.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline sammy1234

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 06:44:58 pm »
Check out the primos ground max. I can shoot my 70" longbow from it while I am sitting in a chair. It has shoot through windows and it is easy to set up. It is cheaper than many other large ground blinds and is durable. I have used it 3 seasons and even used it ice fishing this year.
Good luck
Craig

basinarcheryshop.com

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:03 pm »
There are a few blinds now that are getting big enough to shoot comfortably out of . I have one that is 72" tall.

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:15 pm »
What sammy1234 said.  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !