Author Topic: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow  (Read 18276 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:45 am »
It doesn't look bad enough to me to lose any sleep over. I don't see the hinge, and the humidity had to be close to 90% that weekend. Shoot it and make another one.

Have you shot it yet? If not, why not?
I agree....

I need to show you guys what a hinge looks like dont I . I wouldn't worry about that bow at all. Shoot it and have fun.  As for the arrows, taking a piece of sandpaper to the middle of the shaft will fix the spine, unless you just want to get more arrows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 02:57:12 pm »
I really hope I don't sound overly-paranoid to you guys with all this, but it IS my first-made bow and I'm trying to learn all I can. 

I was out exercising the bow today and kept hearing what sounded like small snaps and cracks coming from the lower limb.  It did it once when I was at the Classic, but it turned out to be a knot just contracting.  Well, today I took a look at the lower limb and saw a bunch of vertical "cracks" running the length of the limb.  Also, I saw a horizontal split in the one knot that made the sound at the Classic.  Here are a few pics of the cracks, as well as a brace height pic illustrating what I posted a few days ago concerning the non-parallel nature of the string.  Please let me know if there's a problem with this, or if it's just a part of the bow.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 03:25:48 pm »
Small snaps ain't good IMO.  I would fill those knots with superglue, and cut an inch off the bottom limb.   Those cracks look like tool marks. I could be wrong.

I know the feeling you are feeling.  You want your first bow to come out a complete shooter.  But as a guy from "practical primative" told me while I was building my first, "this is not a hobby of attachment".  He was right.  So right, I kinda 50% expect my bows will break within 200 shots.    And 25% expect not to survive my tiller tree.   And when one shines past 500 arrows like one I have now, I am impressed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:36:59 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »
Fill the cracks and knot with C.A Glue (super glue) ....and let it dry good....and don't worry about the Linear Cracks ....Osage is notorious for this....:and although they look bad....they hurt nothingness...as long as they do not run off the sides of a Limb.....did.you get this Tillered properly yet?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 10:08:56 pm »
 Like ElD said. Fill them with super glue. Tiller the bow and shoot it till it breaks. You're trying to invent problems. It's only your first bow, I broke about seven before I got my first shooter and can post pictures of my "corner of shame" or about to be remodeled.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:40 pm »
Fill the cracks and knot with C.A Glue (super glue) ....and let it dry good....and don't worry about the Linear Cracks ....Osage is notorious for this....:and although they look bad....they hurt nothingness...as long as they do not run off the sides of a Limb.....did.you get this Tillered properly yet?

Will do.  Super glue the cracks in the knot, don't worry about the linear cracks.  As for the tiller, that's the thing, I'm really not sure where to take wood off, since it's pretty even all the way down the limb.  I'd say, if I had to take any wood off, it would be at the beginning of the limb just below the handle, as it looks a little thicker there.  But, if the bottom limb is bending more, it would make sense to take wood off the top limb, correct?  If you look at the last pic I posted, it shows it at brace height and seems a bit off.  The bow shoots great though, which makes me wonder if I should mess with it at all? 

Mullet, yeah you could say I'm trying to invent problems, but I'm also trying to learn a lot by my mistakes. Hopefully I haven't bothered you'all with too many questions. :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »
I would just Glue all of the Cracks....and Shoot it till it Blows...and make another...a Hinge will only lessen the Life aof the Bow...Yours don't look bad at all...so...just enjoy it...and make another to replace this down the Road...like eddie said...I too have made many to get one that has lasted now for Years...many others lasted a week...a month...and then years....it's just the way things go...I have 4 I kept...the rest went in the Fireplace...... >:D

Here are some pictures of cracks...and they dont bother a thing...this Bow is now 9...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:53:17 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 01:14:28 am »

Will do.  Super glue the cracks in the knot, don't worry about the linear cracks.  As for the tiller, that's the thing, I'm really not sure where to take wood off, since it's pretty even all the way down the limb.  I'd say, if I had to take any wood off, it would be at the beginning of the limb just below the handle, as it looks a little thicker there.  But, if the bottom limb is bending more, it would make sense to take wood off the top limb, correct?  If you look at the last pic I posted, it shows it at brace height and seems a bit off.  The bow shoots great though, which makes me wonder if I should mess with it at all? 

Mullet, yeah you could say I'm trying to invent problems, but I'm also trying to learn a lot by my mistakes. Hopefully I haven't bothered you'all with too many questions. :)

I myself do not see the harm is just taking an inch off the bottom limb.  I think Pappy suggested this.  In fact, lately I like my top limb to be 1" longer. 

Westminster, MD

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 01:19:03 am »
Maybe fill the cracks with glue and put a rawhide patch?  My 2 cents that all!  Nice pictures by the way great angles and depth.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:33 am »
Some observations. First, the bow is tipping or it seems to me.  The upper limb is tipping towards you. When I first shoot  a bow I don't care where the arrows are going. I try to sense  the handle pressure as I draw. It should be even. Seems like you'd feel more pressure on the top of the handle. That means the top limb is stronger than the bottom. If you agree, I'd scrape  the whole length of the limb until she evens out. Second, I don't think the knots are fatal. Shoot'em with super glue. Third, I usually leave knotted areas  a little wider.  Selfbowyers are too concerned about leaving bows trim and perfect in design.  You gotta compensate for knots. Something to remember for the next one. Comstock calls it the "fiberglass mentality". He is  right on with that one. Fourth, I don't know if the  bottom limb is hinging. I don't think so. Fifth, mineral oil is a good laxative. I use 3 coats of Tru Oil. and 3 coats of spar urethane. The Tru Oil seals pores nicely. Sixth, little noises are never good. Make sure they've stopped. Seventh, (come on Jawge get nit over with!) Congratulations. Took me a lot longer to get a bow.
LOL. I just noticed some drying cracks in the back of the bow in one of those shots or they seem to be. They are running with the grain. I also see some funky area on the back. I try to get the backs glassy smooth.Something to remember for the next one.  Jawge
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:08:00 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aries

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:35 pm »
man if the bow shoots good, id just leave it alone and shoot heck out of it till it dies. it looks great, top limb might be a bit stiff( looks like it in your full draw).  If i did any thing id take a few scrapes off the top limb, not worry about the cracks, and get started on my next bow. Im sure that bow will have a reasonably long life it looks pretty excellent other than the minor tillering issue.  MO    Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:45 pm »

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 01:06:44 am »
what.....happened ??? :( >:( :'(
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 01:10:11 am »
Unfortunately it sounds like the cracking noise caught up with the bow.  My first selfbow (I purchased off someone) starting ticking.  I paniced at first, then tried to act like it wasn't there.  Well, it caught up with me later.

Real sorry to see this.

Must have been the weekend of exploding bows.  I was at the balt trad classic and the guy who taught to make bows and does it for a living broke a osage right in front of my eyes.  It can happen to anyone.  Myself, that knot would have scared me. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:28:36 am by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 01:50:54 am »
Yeah, it exploded right where the knot originally fractured.  You can see it in the last pic.  I had put some super glue in it the night before, then was working it a little today.  Got it up to full draw, heard the tick again, then let 'er down.  I pulled back again about 25"....no tick....pulled the last inch then BOOM. 

The funny thing is, this tick noise had been there from the start of making the bow, and we just thought it was the knot compressing at first.  I'm really saddened by this one, for one it was my first selfbow, and I put a lot of work and love into it, and secondly I don't know where I'm gonna get the wood for another.  Ugh.   :-\