Author Topic: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow  (Read 18284 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 06:56:11 pm »
You are still missing what Mike is.asking....find center....measure up 15 inches...and down 15 inches....mark both spots....now take a tape measure...and measure at a 90 degree angle from the string to the belly of the bow in these two spots.....should only be like 6-7 inches....then let us know what the measurements are....this will give an idea what each limb is doing.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »
You are still missing what Mike is.asking....find center....measure up 15 inches...and down 15 inches....mark both spots....now take a tape measure...and measure at a 90 degree angle from the string to the belly of the bow in these two spots.....should only be like 6-7 inches....then let us know what the measurements are....this will give an idea what each limb is doing.....

Duh, I thought he meant measure to the nocking point.  Thanks for the clarification.  Sorry.

Bottom Limb:  6 1/16"

Top Limb:  5 7/8"

Center to string:  6 1/4"

Offline yazoo

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
I think you may have sanded to much off bottom limb,,,that is where you are developed a hindge,,this will need to be corrected,,get rid of this hindge and then match the upper limb to this,,I am not sure how gary would do this,,but give him a call and explain,,his number is in the primitive archer mag,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:49 pm »
I think you may have sanded to much off bottom limb,,,that is where you are developed a hindge,,this will need to be corrected,,get rid of this hindge and then match the upper limb to this,,I am not sure how gary would do this,,but give him a call and explain,,his number is in the primitive archer mag,

Thanks for the info.  I will do so tomorrow.

Lombard

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:38 am »
Looks like a fine bow. Congratulations.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 05:45:05 pm »
Well, I wasn't able to get in touch with Gary, although I did leave a message.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-d

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:57 am »
Without tools it would be tough.I would probably cut off an inch of the bottom limb to start with if I was concerned with loosing to much weight.If weight wasn't an issue I would scrape the bottome limb on either side of the weak spot. Where do you live ? By the way a fine looking first bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 11:56:18 am »
I myself don't think the bow looks that bad and even set isn't that bad.  Possibly a lot of bend about 3 " out of the handle on the lower limb.

If it was mine, I would put a decent spar coat on it and rock on.  Have you tried to tune the bow with an arrow to see the correct nocking point?  First drawn picture looks good but arrow a tad high.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2010, 01:08:11 pm »
OK....heres what I did...I took Your first Full Draw Picture...and straightened it up in Photoshop...the Bow is way too crooked to get a good perspective.....then I added a line Perpendicular to the Bow at the Arrow Shelf just to show you where the Arrow should be nocked ...well at least close to nocked.... and the Blue Line is running Plumb from the Top Tip...to show you how much more the Bottom Limb is Bending already....Nock the Arrow lower..close to where it is marked...then take another Full Draw Picture so We can see where it is truly bending too much...I believe that once this is done...there is going to be a difference in the way it looks at Draw...and I think it may be worse...because right now the way it is being drawn...the Top Limb is taking more Stress than the Bottom...and when you nock lower...where it should be...the Bottom Limb will be taking more of what it needs to be...and will bend more....JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:22:31 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »
Thats a swell looking bow, you did a fine job
VB

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2010, 10:20:23 pm »
OK....heres what I did...I took Your first Full Draw Picture...and straightened it up in Photoshop...the Bow is way too crooked to get a good perspective.....then I added a line Perpendicular to the Bow at the Arrow Shelf just to show you where the Arrow should be nocked ...well at least close to nocked.... and the Blue Line is running Plumb from the Top Tip...to show you how much more the Bottom Limb is Bending already....Nock the Arrow lower..close to where it is marked...then take another Full Draw Picture so We can see where it is truly bending too much...I believe that once this is done...there is going to be a difference in the way it looks at Draw...and I think it may be worse...because right now the way it is being drawn...the Top Limb is taking more Stress than the Bottom...and when you nock lower...where it should be...the Bottom Limb will be taking more of what it needs to be...and will bend more....JMO

Looks like photoshop line is not lined up with the bottom nock like the top.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2010, 10:42:09 pm »
Looks like photoshop line is not lined up with the bottom nock like the top.

Thats the whole Point....The Line is Straight and Plumb to the Back of the Bow Grip...the Bottom Limb is not pulling like the Top Limb is...it's bending too much..
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »
 It doesn't look bad enough to me to lose any sleep over. I don't see the hinge, and the humidity had to be close to 90% that weekend. Shoot it and make another one.

Have you shot it yet? If not, why not?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
I shot it a little just after I got it home, but I didn't do anything to it after sanding and noticing the hinge, affraid I might break it.  I took it out today and it seems to shoot great, but I've got overspinned shafts by about 10# so I won't really know until I get some proper arrows.  I talked to Gary earlier today and he said not to worry much about it, that I can't really do much for it, and that a hinge will take a selfbow that's supposed to last 10yrs, and reduce it, but otherwise it should shoot ok, which it does.  Who knows, it may be all that laxative I put on it that makes it shoot smooth.

EL D. I'll get another pic this evening with a lower nocking point.  I notice that when I hold the bow level, the string isn't parallel with the handle, and it's pretty noticably lower going towards the lower limb, if that makes any sense.

bowkee

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 03:54:52 am »
Real nice splice and Bow :)