Author Topic: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow  (Read 17944 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Re: My TN Classic Osage Self Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:19 am »
thats a great looking stick...i would think that you are hooked into bow making now..the splice job is lovely..john

lol yeah I'm already looking to make my kid a bow.  Figured it'd be easier to learn.  All I gotta do now is find the tools!

Offline Aries

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »
I wish my splices looked that good lol
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:35 pm »
Very nice and congratulations on your first.  I wouldn't worry about those dark spots, either.  Enjoy the bow.  The more of them I've made the less I've become concerned with inconsequential stuff like those dark spots.

Great job.
1’—>1’

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 12:47:10 pm »
Awesome bow.  Love the profile.
Westminster, MD

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »
That's absolutely the best Z-splice I've seen. I would not cover it up with anything. Bookmarked for May Self BOM fun too. Looking forward to the full draw.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »
I am with Don....why would you worry about covering up such a nice splicing as that....adds a little character to an otherwise all yaller bow..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:36:23 pm »
I am with Don....why would you worry about covering up such a nice splicing as that....adds a little character to an otherwise all yaller bow..... ;)

I dunno.  I guess I don't know any better and thought it took away from the rest of the bow, or thought it was supposed to be taken off.  :-\  Plus it wasn't really my splice, so I can't take any sort of credit for it. 

Does anyone what kind of finish I should put on it?  I'd like it to be clear, but don't know enough about finishes to decide for myself.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:49 pm »
If you don't want to change the color and you're just wanting weather protection, use mineral oil something similar.  I usually just oil my bows...no stain or anything.  If I've expecting harsh weather, then I'll wax it with carnauba.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »
You ask anyone that see my Osage Bow at the Classic....It shined like a Poly Finish...and all I did was use 0000 Steel Wool....and Olive Oil.....rub the Olive Oil in with the Wool......until the Bow is like Glass....then Hand Rub a few more....then whenever it looks dull....apply more.....simple....but purty.....  ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
I use Tru Oil Gunstock Finish on all my Osage bows. It is hand-rubbed in and takes a couple of hours to dry.  I put between 4 to 10 THIN coats per bow usually letting the bow dry 12 to 24 hrs between coats.  for the last 2 or 3 coats I rub the bow down with 0000 steel wool before applying the finish.  It makes the osage look really good.   :)

Oh yeah and the Osage bow El D was carrying around at the Classic looked like it had a beautiful finish too. Might have to try that.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »
I'd like to put a nice glossy sheen on it, not so much for weather protection as to look purty.  :)  Thanks EL, That was one of the things I forgot, was the 0000 Steel Wool.  Any particular type of olive oil you use?  The same stuff you buy at the grocery store, or something different?  That stuff can get more expensive than Poly!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 04:34:13 pm »
I just use the Wifes cooking Olive Oil......shoot Canola would probably work too.... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »
I've used fruit/vegi oils before.  They work fine, but for what it's worth I get the same results from mineral oil...which is cheaper.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »
That's awesome! Great looking bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

HatchA

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »
I actually like the splice lines in the handle...  makes it interesting!

Vey nice bow, man.  You must be so proud!