Author Topic: Black Bamboo  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Muina

Black Bamboo
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »
Hi, I saw some pictures of Black Bamboo (Phyllostachys Nigra) a while ago, and wondered if anyone knew anything about it for bow backings?

I absolutely love the look of it, and if it's suitable for bows I'd absolutely love to get some. I know that most bamboo changes colour from green to straw coloured as it dries, but I wonder if this species would do the same?

Thanks

Anthony

Offline acker

Re: Black Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »
As far as I know, they do stay black , but if you scrap the wax film of, it looses its black colour.
( That's what someone told me who worked with that stuff )
acker

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:52:29 pm »
A number of years ago PatM posted some pictures of a black boo backed bow with an all black piece. I have used it, but it is often more difficult to find larger diameters. It isn't always black, some is brown with black spots, but it does stay that color if you prep it for a bow. I imagine you could scrape the color off if you scraped it long enough, but you would be way to far into the power fibers.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:50 pm »
Howdy,  I got a couple of reasonable sized pieces. I've only used it on one bow sofar, but it works well and looks attractive ( to my eye.)  The bow I built was a backed piece of Ipe.  The widest part of the limb is only 1", so the small size of the bamboo was OK.  I'll see if I can post a picture.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »
I like that. Where can I get some?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:03 am »
Black bamboo keeps its color for ages unless you scratch the outer coat away.  I have a piece I use for playing dulcimer that I've had for over a decade and the color is still good.  The big problem is that P. nigra rarely grows over 1.5" - 2" in diameter.  You'll have to Google or Bing bamboo suppliers/growers to find it...  I found a clump growing under a bridge in Corvallis, OR but at that time it wasn't more than 1/2" diameter...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Muina

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:18 am »
Wow, I didn't realise people had tried it before, it looks gorgeous!! I'm definitely gonna try and find some now!! I was thinking of trying a thin backing on Ash, probably ELB so I don't need it too wide.

Thanks so much guys  ;D

Anthony

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
I think Rich Saffold uses it quite a bit. As KenH said, it doesn't get very big, so you would probably be limited to using it on woods like ipe that will make a good bow at a really narrow width.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »
The species mentioned only gets a bit over 3" diameter at the largest, but its a very fine bamboo for backings, and like Hillbilly mentions its best used on slender backed styles. I don't recommend removing the outer layer as it looks better than the layer underneath and the risk for splinters isn't worth the effort. No two backings look the same giving each bow a unique look, and being nearly "black" is hunting ready so for all the reasons mentioned its my favorite bamboo.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »
Please..Please tell me where I can get a few strips!!!!...Please!
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 01:55:40 am »
Hillbilly61 I'm trying to find more as well the usual source (Franks) is going to be out of it for a while.  If I find some I'll  let you know.