Author Topic: splicing backing strip question.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
splicing backing strip question.
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:00 pm »
I have some scrap quartersawn ash i was going to use to back my fiance's purpleheart bow with and i was wondering if a butt-splice would be okay over a rigid handle area for the backing strip... The purpleheart core and handle riser are both going to be one piece will this be okay or should I do a Z or a W splice?  Thanks guys.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: splicing backing strip question.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:17:01 pm »
I was even thinking about using the butt splice and putting a THIN (< 1/8" thick) overlay over the splice in the non-bending portion of the handle, will this help to hold it together? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »
I just finnished an ash backed cherry bow and I butt spliced the backing strips in the centre and it was totally ok. no problems
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:12 am »
No reason a butt splice wouldn't work.  But a 1:8 or 1:10 simple lap splice would be better.  With 1/8" backing, you would taper each piece from full thickness to zero over and inch or an inch and a quarter, then overlap the tapers and glue them.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:46:13 am »
With an overlay a simple butt splice will be fine. I prefer a scarf joint with both mating ends cut(or ground) at about a 45deg angle and an overlay over that to fill out the back of the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50:55 am »
I like the butt splice best. If you are concerned about it shape the handle and wrap it with silk and super glue or rawhide or whatever you wish. A leather grip will cover whatever you put on it so  it doesn't even have to be pretty.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:12 am »
forgot to mention that I did use a thin overlay over the but splice, A butt splice is good enough you dont even see it under the handle why struggle with more difficult splices if it does the job? This bow was made in 5 pieces, V-spliced billetts, butt spliced backing strips and handle overlay, you can hardly notice !!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......