Author Topic: Serving affects arrow flight?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Diligence

Serving affects arrow flight?
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »
Okay folks, bear with me on this one, maybe it's simple.

Barrage was telling me how great this embroidery floss was from a craft store near us, so I re-served my string with some.  Previously, I had just used some polyester thread I had around the house.  I went shooting last night, and let me tell you, I thought I was drunk.  Those arrows were flying all over the place...no consistency, and unpredictable.

Does new serving affect arrow flight?  Also, what substitutes for serving have you all used?  Is it cotton, poly or rayon?

Cheers,
J

PS...Barrage, you were right though, there are a million colors!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Barrage

Re: Serving affects arrow flight?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:13:58 am »
You must have got the wrong color... >:D

Serving material shouldn't have any effect though.  Were your nocks way tight after?
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:24:40 am »
a bit tight, but I sanded them down to be just "one tap" tight.

Also, the bamboo arrows seemed to be really unstable in flight.....so much so on one of them that it looked as though I didn't have any forward weight....severe oscillations.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:05 am »
Diligence,
        May be slightly off point, but I dont use any serving on my strings, not even at the loops. I feel that having my arrows "loose" on the string I get more consistant results when the arrow leaves. I find that most of my bows like it and I also have a very wide spine tolerence....while having the same point of aim. For what ever it may be worth.
Rich

Offline Barrage

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »
Did the number of twists in your string change?  Sounds like something changed and arrows aren't spined quite right anymore.  If your arrows were right on the edge of spine tolerance and you changed something in your bow setup (or anchor / draw length?)...
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:51:52 pm »
I don't think the brace height changed.  I did have to re-tie a nocking point, but I'm certain I have it at least "close" to where it was before.

Maybe it was just a bad night?...really have to get some consistency with these bamboo arrows. (i.e weight, spine, etc.)

Halfeye - good info.  Maybe I will go back to my old ways, just plain thread.

J

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:33:30 am »
Okay everybody.  Apparently the night that I had all the trouble, there was a massive flock of butterflys jumping up and down on a mountain top in Tibet.....which clearly made my arrows go sideways.

Shot again last night and was more accurate than I have EVER been.  Same set-up, same arrows, same nocking point, same brace height and the same serving.

I guess the bow'n'arra gods were playing with me.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:35 pm »
release and form are everything.  new serving could effect release.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy