Author Topic: Is this hackberry? New problem & pic's  (Read 3254 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Is this hackberry? New problem & pic's
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:46:49 am »
I hope this is Hackberry after seeing Ranger B's awesome bow.  I live in S.E. Indiana and have a lot of these trees around.  I always thought they were junk. 

If it is, do I need to chase a ring like osage, or just remove the bark and that is the back of the bow?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:03:12 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Is this hackberry?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:12 am »
someone else will confirm, but i think that is hackberry, the bark has that distinct warty look.
45# at 27"

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:23 am »
I second hackberry.

Additionally, there is no such thing as "junk" wood.  I've seen good bows made with balsa and I've even got a chinese elm piece going pretty good...when I have time to work on it....
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:21:48 am »
I didn't mean junk wood for bow making.  Growing up, we didn't cut it for firewood or anything else, so it seemed like junk to me.  I have only been in the bow making world for slightly over a year.  I am trying to learn about and hopefully make bows from trees other than osage.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:45 am »
Definitely hackberry.  I spent a large part of my childhood climbing in a giant one in my back yard.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:11 pm »
do the branches look all crazy angles everywhere?  im trying to figure out what this tree is in my backyard..  it always seemed worthless to me.  seems different to me though. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Christophero

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
That looks like the hackberry we have in Ohio.  When you cut it it will be white with some snot colored streaks through it.  I plan on using some of my 3 year cured hackberry and naming it "Snotwood" for the looks, LOL. 
The bark will probably be tight but you use it like hickory, take off the bark and make a bow.

Offline tombo

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:18:30 pm »
Not the Hackberry we have in S. Texas but there are 2-3 different species. Ours is "sugarberry" hack. I consider it the best, superb bow wood.  Leaves are serrated on the Sugarberry. Tom

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »
That is as hackberry as hackberry gets.  Serrated leaves that smooth off on the bottom near the leafe stem, knobby bark that forms into those wart looking shapes.  Definatly hackberry.  It's excellent bow wood.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:50 am »
Yep, definitely.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »
Best smelling wood to work with I've used, so far, just like buttered pop-corn.  Definitely doesn't need to be a high poundage bow to have great cast.  It's very light in the hand.

Good luck. 
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 12:02:26 am »
My hackberry is turning wierd colors, is this normal?  I sealed the ends with 2 coats of wood glue.  When I went to debark the back, I couldn't find my big bottle of glue, I think it got "borrowed" by a relative.  The only thing I had to seal it with was some polyurethane, so I put on a good coat of that.  I did the same exact sealing job on an elm tree and it doesn't look like this.  It is the two on the right. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Is this hackberry? New problem & pic's
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:27 am »
          Looks like Black Mold is setting up shop....never seen that happen before...but then I live in a Veritable Desert here...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 12:24:11 am »
The black spots on the ends were there when I cut it down.  The rest of it just slowly turned this color over the last few days.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 12:40:58 am »
was this tree alive and leafed out when You cut it?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome