Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Straight, Offset, or Helical

(1/4) > >>

DanaM:
Ok we got the spine issue beat to death, now what do you guys shoot straight, offset, helical, 3 fletch, 4 fletch and size. Also different setups for field points and broadheads? Whats yer opinion?

DanaM

NorthernArcher:
I use a 3-fletch of 12cm (~4 3/4") offset feathers, and trim them with scissors after fletching.  Feathers are tied with sinew at the ends as well as a spiral wrap of back sinew along the entire length.  End wraps are 'painted' with warm hide glue, and then (after drying) with home-made spirit varnish to waterproof.  Works great.

Coo-wah-chobee:
             Ok ...........just to confuse the issue I shoot a one fletch. A turkey or goose feather has a natural twist, so I guess its a slight helical. They shoot great (huntin'),course I don't shoot over 20 yards and under 12 yards or so I don't even use a feather. There's always one, isn't there ?...................bob

Coo-wah-chobee:
..........Oh yeah.forgot, there 6" long and natural shape.......bob

Pat B:
I have always used a straight fletch with a slight offset. Sometimes I use 5 1/2" shields but mostly I have my own patern that I burn. Because of the shape of the feathers, even a straight fletch will spin an arrow. I found that for my self bows a helical fletch slows my arrows down too much and makes more noise than a straight fletch.  I use the same style fletch and arrows for everything...hunting or practice.   Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version