Author Topic: Hit the mother load!  (Read 2615 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Hit the mother load!
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:08 pm »
Sorry no pics unless I run out to the car!  I went on a business trip upstate NY and got a few leeds on a quarry site.  I stumbled onto the mother load and my car is bottoming out I had to stop.  I found thousands of pounds of the best onondaga chert I ever seen.  Its so smooth not as grainy as the last stuff I had quarried on youtube.  Ontop of that I found in a stream near by, cobbles of lesser grade what appears to be snakehill maybe esopus not sure its tough as nails.  Needless to say when the sun comes up I'll show u all some  pics of the car overloaded:o  Im getting a pick up truck next week should make things easier as well.

The pic are one of about 5 outcrops I stopped to look at I didnt get to the mapped sites I got from RYMESWITHWHAT (Gary) from Paleoplanet. 

Have a nice day!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Parnell

Re: Hit the mother load!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »
Holy cow!  That face is composed of all usuable chert?  Amazing...
1’—>1’

Offline dmedd

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »
My mouth is watering just looking at your pics! It's bad to be hooked on rock isn't it! Don't try it! Not even once! ;D ;D 8)
I like taking big rocks and turning them into smaller pointy rocks. :-)

Douglas,GA

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:32 am »
That pic is with my phone that cliff was about 200' long and about 90' high bigger than what it appears.  I have another spot I forgot to post it further up the road from where the last spot was its a dry river bed.  Also notice in the one pic there is a huge slab behind me....all chert!  Its exciting to me and the research I have done paid off.  It said that some of these old towns are made out of this chert and once you get to know how to spot it they are right just about every foundation and stone wall.  I even saw a bridge made with chert blocks...would they know if I took a few???

Have a good day!

Russell

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »
That's cool Russell!  If you get more than you can handle, just send some to me! ;) ;D
south central VA

Offline dmedd

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »
That's cool Russell!  If you get more than you can handle, just send some to me! ;) ;D

Me too! ;D ;D ;D
I like taking big rocks and turning them into smaller pointy rocks. :-)

Douglas,GA

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:16:35 pm »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:55:59 pm »
Cool glad to know someone has good rock near by.I can get alibates 4 hrs west of me and edwards chert about 6 hrs south. Where are you from? Looks like nice rock. -peace
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »
Im from the Catskill mointains in Newyork state.  I found mosty Onondaga chert which is probably the toughest stuff to work with on the planet.  But I have made some very nice points from it and it can be done!  It will challenge you and since I have so much Im not worried if I break 10 lbs to make 1 point.  It isnt all usable there are fractures and cracks from freezing and thawing but to be able to quarry your own is a great feeling.  Have a good day!  Ps if I wasnt so poor right now I would give you guys some :-\... Have a good day!

RUss