Author Topic: horse bow question  (Read 12125 times)

Offline Frode

horse bow question
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »
Hi all,
I have a friend with a horse bow problem, and I thought I'd tap the collective wisdom here to see if it can be remedied.  This bow has a 54" string and pulls, I'd guess, 30# or so.  The string appears to be in good shape, the bow is well cared for, and while the finish is rubbed off the keyhole like nocks in the siyahs (sp?), they don't seem to be broken or excessively worn.  Here's the problem, the string has taken to popping out on one end upon release.  The owner is perplexed, the place she bought the bow at said there's nothing to be done for it, but they would give her a discount on a new bow.  I admit, horse bows are beyond my experience just yet, but this one just doesn't look broken to me.
As always, your observations are greatly appreciated!
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline PatM

Re: horse bow question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »
I would just deepen the nocks a hair and raise the brace height. A new string with an extra strand or two to minimize stretch may also help.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:05:30 am »
I agree with Pat, A round no. 8 nickelson file filed down on angle, after you mark the angle with the bow strung,I would draw a line to see where it goes. Denny

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:41:12 am »
Get a video camera and see if you can capture the Kodak moment.  I'm trying to visualize how this happens!  Even if she's 'way overdrawing until the siyahs are horizontal, the string should not slip out of the nocks.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

half eye

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
Hey Frode,
        Been cogatating on yer post.....dont know squat about these horse bows but from a mechanical point of view only....the string groves are basically a hole with an inlet slot, so could the proiblem arise from the slot width VS: hole diameter being too close to the same size? In other words, if the hole was a little bit larger (1/16" or so) that would form more of a "shoulder" that the string would have to "pop" over to escape into the slot....especially at the lower draw weight.
        If the string is not under a lot of tension at brace, and she is shooting "snap-knocks" then the string could come out of the slots on follow through, unless there is a shoulder to prevent that, and I think you will form that shoulder with either a bigger hole or a smaller slot width.
     Hope I said this some where close to something that makes sense.
Rich

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
are the limbs twisted?  if so, that could cause the string to pop off.  if the limbs are straight, i'd cut the nocks deeper.  another thought, was the string made for that bow?  the strings on those horsebows must have a large enough loop to fit the syahs.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »
are the limbs twisted?  if so, that could cause the string to pop off.  if the limbs are straight, i'd cut the nocks deeper.  another thought, was the string made for that bow?  the strings on those horsebows must have a large enough loop to fit the syahs.

Does the string contact the bridge at brace height?  If so, as Mechslasher said, if there are any alignment or twisting issues, the string may miss the bridge after release, causing the bow to go completely unstable which could unstring the bow like you mentioned.  Also not good for either the bow or the archer...
Travis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
 I had the same problem when I put a new string on. Shortly after that the string cut the Siyah off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 0209

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:06:27 pm »
can we see the string?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:46:10 pm »
If looks don't matter and you don't want to cut into the siyah deeper you can always take an 8" piece of artifical sinew, wrapped it around the nock a couple times and tie it in a good square knot, then take it off when you are finished shooting. I do this all the time when I testing a bow and haven't yet finished the tips.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Seriously.  :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:19:49 pm »
Hello,

I have a horsebow and before I would start filing on the nocks I would post pictures of your string loops and what the bow looks like strung.  Horsebows have a higher brace height than recurves or long bows. It sounds like the siyahs are coming to far forward at release.  If the limbs are twisted enough to cause the string to come off it should be very apparent.

Good luck

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:31 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for all the responses!  I know this one isn't strictly primitive, but one of these days I'd hope to give making one a try, so anything I learn now only helps later.  Here are a few pics showing the nocks and string.  I couldn't arrange a good shot showing the limbs at full draw, but they don't appear to be twisting.  String appears proper for the bow.
The idea of deepening the nocks in the direction of the string seemed like the way to go, but I thought, one more look can't hurt...
Thanks,
Frode

If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:31 pm »
It looks to me like the hole portion of the keyhole could be slightly larger diameter. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a few more twists into the string depending on what the brace height is resting at right now. Remember of course that the brace height is higher on horsebows than typical bows where the brace height would be fistmele which is typically supposed to be 6" or so.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »
Frode...now this is just My Oservation...and I own two Hungarian Bows like this...One Toth...and one Kassai...and the String Hole needs to have a more Pronounced lip on it...there isn't really enough to hold the String in there ...I would deepen it downward slightly...not bigger around...but down to make a more pronounce lip...and also twist that String a Bit more...you see by the Braced Picture how the Syahs are tipping downward slightly...and the String is tight on the Back of the Syahs?? Well twist it up untill the String still makes contact...but ever so slightly...if even just slightly off the Syah...these two things should cure the Problem...maybe just the Brace Height would do it alone....you might have Her try that before you start to file...String looks fine to me also...If it were Me...I would start with the Brace Height...Shoot it...and see...if no...file the Nocks a bit....JMO

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:37:56 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome