Author Topic: Help? New bowyer has some questions...  (Read 3978 times)

Offline GraysonM

Help? New bowyer has some questions...
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »
Hey all! First, this place is awesome! You all seem like great folks, and are super helpful! I just started my bow making adventures with a trip to the hardware store, and picked up two red oak boards, and various bow making supplies as per Sam Harpers tutorial. Now, the boards are two and a half inches. This seems really wide! Sam's build-a-long/guide uses a board thats an inch and a half, a whole inch shorter than mine! I dont have a table saw or bandsaw available, so using those to trim the boards wont be much help. Any suggestions? ??? Thanks for the help!  ;D

Offline sailordad

Re: Help? New bowyer has some questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:50 pm »
rasp or surform would work
'just takes a little elbow grease and a little desire
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:07:34 pm »
Haha, elbow grease? Where do i get it? is it next to the titebond!?  :P

Okey doke. Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »
actually ya need to go int ot the hradware department
its right next to the plumbers crack sealer  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:27:46 pm »
get yourself a stanly blockplane i use one alot
bryan irwin

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »
Use a handsaw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
... :D :D :D Oh boy, I dont even know what to say to that one!  :P Actually, a trip to the garage produced a planer, which has worked well. Only i had a little goof up. There's break about two thirds down the board, that dips below the 1.5 inch line, what do I do!? For the other three staves i have from the same type of board, what would be the best way to start the process?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:21 am »
Looks like you were hogging wood out a little too aggressively with that planer!  Planer should never take off more than about 1/16" at a pass, and preferably less. Not the best way to thin a board down from 2.5" to 1.5" wide!!

I used a hand held saber saw to cut a 1x3 plank in half to make two bows.  Worked just fine by going slow and sticking to the line. 

You could actually use a hand saw to cut the board in half lengthwise.  :o   Hand saws have been around a lot longer than electric ones.   :D  You'll need a couple good clamps to hold the board in place and a good table of some sort to clamp to; but you'll need those things anyway. 8)

Depends on how far into the 1-1/2" section you've gone.  No reason your bow can't be 1-1/4" wide just as well; it's not like the God of Bows will smite you for being a little narrow.  >:D Your other choice would seem be to go back to the lumberyard and get a real 1x2 (3/4 x 1-1/2" actual) and start with that...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:22:58 pm »
Most lumberyards won't charge you anything to cut a board you're buying.  Next time ask them to run it through their table saw.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
I have found carpenter shops every where, Most will help you, if you ask to trim the board and cut to length. If you were close to me, I would cut and help you build the bow. Good Luck Denny

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:21 pm »
If you plan on making several bows, you might want to check your local Craigslist for a band saw.  To cut boards like what you are using, a small bench top model would work.  You should be able to find one pretty cheap.  I just sold a 9"Ryobi for $30.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »
Yea. Definitely having them cut it next time. Good idea on the craigslist bandsaw!

What happened with the break was I tried splitting it with a hatchet. :o Not my best idea.

One and a quarter eh? hmmmmm...

thanks for the offer Denny!

Well, I'll go on a head and tell you guys how it goes!
 Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline Jay

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:41 am »
I use hand tools for most of it. it takes more time but allows you to look and "read" the piece of wood you are working with.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:22 am »
I rough out some of my bows with a sharp hatchet. Just take little bites - it works surprisingly well.
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:46 am »
I don't own a bow grade bandsaw. Most of my building is done with hand tools. I do use  a sander for roughing out and handle shaping. Beginners should leave power tools for later on. What's the rush? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!